Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Exterior Line

July - August 1864

 
 
The Exterior Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mrs. Sarahlyn Davies Bennett, May 10, 2009
1. The Exterior Line Marker
Marker is South of the ridge where the entrenchments were during the Civil War.
Inscription. When Federal forces E. of Atlanta were shifting to the W. side, to move against the Macon and West Point rail roads (entering the city from the S.W.), the Confederate defenders intrenched a line W. and parallel to them.

This line began at W. Fair and Ashby Sts. and ran S.W. to & beyond this point, ending at the Ga. Military Academy in College Park.

Siege Operations (July 28-Aug. 25) were barren of results & ceased with transfer of Federal Forces S. to Fairburn & Jonesboro where the seizure of the railroads and consequent evacuation of Atlanta, ended the campaign.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-136.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 44.333′ N, 84° 25.985′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was on Ralph David Abernathy (formerly Gordon Road) (Georgia Route 139) near Cascade Avenue (Georgia Route 154), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Original Gas Street Light (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Wren’s Nest (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (was approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. ¾ mile away); The Federal Salient (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Ezra Church (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ); Battle Hill (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. Marker written and submitted by Mr. Wilbur Kurtz, Historian and Artist and member of the Atlanta Historical Society along with Lieutenant Colonel Allen P. Julian, former US Army Historian from Fort McPherson, GA and past President of the Atlanta Historical Society.
 
Regarding The Exterior Line. South of the ridge site of former Confederate Defenses (now houses built in the 1940-1950's
 
Additional keywords. Wilbur Kurtz, Extended defenses to East Point, Battle of Utoy Creek, GA
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2016, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement