Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
36th Ohio Infantry
—Baird's Division —
Turchin's Brigade, Baird's Division, 14th Corps.
Lieutenant Colonel Hiram F. DeVol
November 25, 1863
The morning of November 25th the 36th, with its brigade and division, marched to support General Sherman at Tunnel Hill.
Returning, it formed with the brigade on the left of Wood's Division. In the storming of the ridge the regiment reached the crest about this position.
Charging down the eastern slope it captured two guns, and moving to the left on the crest took part in closing the engagement there. The next day the regiment joined the pursuit to Ringgold.
Casualties: killed, 10 men; wounded, 3 officers; 59 men; captured, 3 men; Total, 75.
Erected 1908 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-281.)
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 35° 2.569′ N, 85° 15.22′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker could be reached from North Crest Road south of Brown Wood Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, this marker is located in the, “DeLong Reservation/1934 Map 94-3. Bronze tablet missing.". Marker was at or near this postal address: 198 North Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. 31st Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); Turchin's Brigade (here, next to this marker); 9th Kentucky Infantry (a few steps from this marker); DeLong Reservation (a few steps from this marker); 2nd Minnesota (within shouting distance of this marker); Water's Alabama Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 11th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); 89th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863."
This marker is presently missing, but the NPS staff believe that it will soon be restored. Once it is, pictures will be taken and posted.
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on September 10, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 24 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.