Working the Land
Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
English colonists primarily grew tobacco for profit. Introduced at Jamestown in 1612, tobacco quickly exhausted prime croplands and required vast unspoiled acreage. It spurred tremendous changes on the landscape.
(Inscription above the image in the upper right)
European colonists learned here to grow tobacco from the Indians.
(Inscription above the image on the lower right)
A drawing of a Canadian Algoecquian village, by John White, 1585, home styles and agricultural practices varied regionally, but maize (corn) and tobacco were common products.
Learn more about 17th-century landscapes and industry at these places:
*Jamestown Settlement, you can visit the re-created James Fort to see colonial farming practices.
*At Historic Jamestowne, watch modern artisans produce the glass objects glassblowers in 1608 may have created.
Erected by National Park Service US Department of Interior.
Location. 37° 8.765′ N, 76° 44.304′ W. Marker is in Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is on Chippokes Park Road. Touch for map. The marker is located in Chippokes Plantation State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 695 Chippokes Park Road (VA665), Surry VA 23883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain John Smith’s Adventures on the James (here, next to this marker); Quiyoughcohannock Indians (approx. 2˝ miles away); Hog Island (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bacon’s Castle (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jamestown Ferry (approx. 3.7 miles away); Lawne’s Creek Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Virginia’s Vintage (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bowl, Pot, and Pipe (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Surry.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 26, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.