Houston in Texas County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Texas County Missouri
Texas County, largest county in Missouri, is 998.06 square miles of Ozark Highland. Rugged hills, springs, creeks, rivers and caves abound. The area was part of the 1808 Osage Indian Land cession. Though named for the second largest of the fifty states, it exceeds the smallest, Rhode Island. Formally organized on February 14, 1845, it was named for the Republic of Texas. The county seat of justice was laid out in 1846 near the center of the county and named Houston for the first president of the Texas Republic.
The Civil War period was a time of turmoil in Texas County. The populace was predominantly southern. The courthouse was occupied during the war by the Union Army. Houston was an important place on the route between federal headquarters in Springfield and Rolla. Some skirmishes were fought here. Confederate soldiers, stormed the town, burning every building. Before the courthouse was burned, the county records were taken to a cave on Arthurs Creek. All the books were safely returned after the conflict.
Pioneers came to Texas County in the 1820ís from Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee
Early social activities centered around church and school. Community activities included old time hoedowns, candy pullings, corn huskings, barn warmings, quilting bees, and log rolling. Arts and crafts continue to enter into lives of many. People still gather for church activities, auctions, musicals, square dancing and sports of all kind. Like the early pioneers, fishing and floating our rivers are very much a part of living in our county. Hunting is enjoyed by many and
Education has always been very important to county residents. The rural one room school houses have vanished. Students are transported to one of the ten school districts serving the county. College courses are offered in our communities.
Incorporated communities are the Cities of Cabool, Houston, and Licking, parts of the Cities of Summersville, and Mountain Grove, and the Village of Raymondville. The 1990 Federal Census of Texas County was 21,476 citizens.
Texas County with its moderate climate has become a place many people come to retire. Its rural environment, fine education systems, good churches, great hunting and fishing, community spirit, businesses, industry, and the beauty of the area make this a desirable place to live.
Texas County people are a different breed, the most friendly and caring people in Godís universe.
For dedication February 14, 1995
Texas County Sesquicentennial Celebration
Betty Sue Crow ē Charles Hartman ē Ray D. Clayton
Donald R. Troutman, County Clerk
Erected 1995 by Texas County Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 N. Grand Ave, Houston MO 65483, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Texas County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. This marker is not one of the 1950ís state highway markers of the State Historical Society of Missouri. Although similar in design and text, it is an updated version erected by the Texas County Commission in 1995. The original Texas County state highway marker was located in Houston on US Route 63, but it was removed sometime between 2009 and 2013 with the expansion of the Texas County Memorial Hospital.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Texas County Missouri.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.