Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morganton in Burke County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Burke Courthouse

 
 
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
1. Burke Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Built of local cut stone, ca. 1835, by James Binnie. August terms of State Supreme Court held here, 1847-61. Raided by Union force 1865. Remodeled 1901.
 
Erected 1963 by NC Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number N-34.)
 
Location. 35° 44.734′ N, 81° 41.266′ W. Marker is in Morganton, North Carolina, in Burke County. Marker is on Sterling Street south of Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morganton NC 28655, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Confederate Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Morganton (here, next to this marker); Sam J. Ervin, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Tod R. Caldwell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); N.C. School for the Deaf (approx. 1.1 miles away); Boughton Hospital (was approx. 1.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Waightstill Avery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort San Juan (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morganton.
 
Also see . . .  NC Markers page. (Submitted on November 14, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
2. Burke Courthouse Marker
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
3. Burke Courthouse Marker
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
4. Burke Courthouse Marker
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
5. Burke Courthouse Marker
(South View)
Burke Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
6. Burke Courthouse Marker
(North View)
Photo & history from adjacent Morganton Civil War Trails marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
7. Photo & history from adjacent Morganton Civil War Trails marker
In 1837, builder James Binnie completed this stone courthouse to replace the first Burke County Courthouse, a wooden structure. From 1847 to 1862, this was the only courthouse outside Raleigh in which the North Carolina Supreme Court convened, to escape the summer heat. The exterior was stuccoed in 1885, and in 1903 architect Frank Milburn raised the porticoes and replaced the simple cupola depicted here with one in the Baroque style. In 1976, the county completed a new courthouse and moved from this building. The Old Burke County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

Burke County Courthouse, ca.1885
Courtesy Picture Burke, NC Room, Burke County Library
Burke Courthouse - Charters of Freedom display image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
8. Burke Courthouse - Charters of Freedom display
Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 14, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Paid Advertisement