Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jay in Delaware County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Wayne

 
 
Fort Wayne Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 15, 2016
1. Fort Wayne Marker
Inscription. Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861 Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and organized the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. Captured by Federal troops Oct. 22, 1862 in engagement known as Battle of Fort Wayne.
 
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 155.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 36° 25.407′ N, 94° 37.651′ W. Marker is near Jay, Oklahoma, in Delaware County. Marker is on State Highway 20 0.1 miles east of N470 Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jay OK 74346, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Maysville (approx. 2 miles away in Arkansas); Camp Walker (approx. 3.4 miles away in Arkansas); Stand Watie (approx. 7.1 miles away); McDonald County (approx. 15½ miles away in Missouri).
 
More about this marker. In 1995 a granite marker replaced the earlier style Oklahoma
Fort Wayne Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 15, 2016
2. Fort Wayne Marker
View to south across State Highway 20
highway marker on Fort Wayne; the granite marker had the same text as the original highway marker . The granite marker was manufactured by Willis Granite Products in Granite, Oklahoma, but was damaged sometime before 2008 and removed from the location. It was later repaired and re-installed at the same location. The repairs consisted of taking the unbroken upper portion of the marker, which contained the logo and inscription, and encasing it in a concrete base.
 
Regarding Fort Wayne. The site of Fort Wayne is located approximately four miles south of the marker near the intersection of N470 Road and E0450 Road.


Fort Wayne closed due to high incidents of malaria among the troops. The troops relocated north and built Fort Scott in SE Kansas.
 
Also see . . .  Battle of Old Fort Wayne - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 19, 2016.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansWar, US Civil

 
View to East Along State Highway 20 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 14, 2016
3. View to East Along State Highway 20
Marker is on right (south) side of highway
Fort Wayne Marker before 2009 image. Click for full size.
By Unknown
4. Fort Wayne Marker before 2009
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   4. submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee.
Paid Advertisement