A major terminus of the Cotton Road, customhouse and Confederate port of entry into Mexico 1863-65 when Union forces held lower Rio Grande. Cotton was "lifeblood of the South," Texas its lifeline and storehouse west of the . . . — — Map (db m111472) HM
Although the Indian, Spanish, and early anglo-American inhabitants knew of this area's large bituminous coal deposits, commercial mining did not begin until 1885, when F. H. Hartz opened a hillside mine near the Rio Grande. For a time, it was the . . . — — Map (db m121588) HM
Established by Captain S. Burbank, first U.S. Infantry, March 27, 1849 as a protection to western communication. Garrisoned by Federal troops until March 20, 1861 and since 1868. Now known as Camp Eagle Pass — — Map (db m56146) HM
Established March 27, 1849, by Capt. Sidney Burbank with companies A, B, and F, First U.S. Infantry. Name honors Col. James Duncan, a hero of the Mexican War.
Fort served as frontier outpost near trail of California emigrants; base of . . . — — Map (db m56187) HM
Built about 1868, soon after the U.S. Army's post-Civil War reoccupation of Fort Duncan, this building played a part in aviation history when the first military cross-country flight, from Fort McIntosh in Laredo, landed here in 1911. By 1932 the . . . — — Map (db m56151) HM
Created Feb. 2, 1856, from Kinney county. Organized July 13, 1871. Named for Texas Revolution veteran, signer of declaration of Independence, Texas Legislator Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870). The county centers in an area of dairies, farming, . . . — — Map (db m111452) HM
A landmark of the Texas-Mexico border area. Built 1884-85, during term of county Judge Thomas Lamb, on site chosen by citizens' committee, who donated $800 toward purchase of land from R.E. Moffit.
Architects: Wahrenberger and Beckman, San . . . — — Map (db m111469) HM