20 entries match your criteria.
Related Historical MarkersPage County Civil War markers
SHOWN IN SOURCE-SPECIFIED ORDER
|Immigrant Peter Ruffner built this house about 1739. Before the Civil War, William A. Chapman bought it, and three sons reared here later fought for the Confederacy. For their exploits as members of Col. John S. Mosby’s Rangers, two of them, Lt. . . . — — Map (db m15904) HM|
|Built in 1846, Catherine Furnace was one of three Page County furnaces in operation during the Civil War. The 30-foot-tall main stack is nearly all that remains of the cold blast furnace and once-huge operation here, when 22,500 acres supplied wood . . . — — Map (db m15892) HM|
|In 1836, brothers Daniel and Henry Forrer, in partnership with Samuel Gibbons, purchased land here for an ironworks and built a cold-blast furnace, called Furnace #1. Some 6,249 acres provided trees for charcoal, quarries and mines for limestone and . . . — — Map (db m16641) HM|
| Calendine was built in the early 1850s by Townsend Young. The adjacent one story building served as a general store and stage stop on the Sperryville-New Market turnpike. The store was also a social gathering place for exchange of news and gossip. . . . — — Map (db m174315) HM|
|The Shenandoah Valley below was the scene of much of Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's activity, during the first two years of the Civil War. His swift and secret marches earned his troops the name of "foot cavalry." Jackson's . . . — — Map (db m13183) HM|
|Nearly a month after the battle of Kernstown, Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's command had worked its way south "up" the Valley to join Gen. Richard S. Ewell's division near Conrad's Store (Elkton). To secure this haven for reorganization, on . . . — — Map (db m12085) HM|
|Early in May 1862, Gen. Stonewall Jackson moved most of his army east over the Blue Ridge toward Charlottesville, leaving Gen. Richard S. Ewell's division at Conrad's Store (present day Elkton) to hold the Federals in the Shenandoah Valley. The . . . — — Map (db m12086) HM|
|On May 21, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J.
“Stonewall” Jackson’s Valley Army plodded north
along this road to threaten Front Royal and outflank Union Gen. Nathaniel Bank’s position at Strasburg. With the addition of Gen. Richard S.
Ewell’s . . . — — Map (db m174302) HM|
Built for religious purposes by the “Neighbors”, mainly Mennonites from Switzerland and southern Germany.
The outside of the one log walls were covered in 1851 with white weatherboards and the structure was roofed with chestnut shingles. A . . . — — Map (db m174316) HM|
|In mid-June 1862, after Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley campaign, Brig. Gen. Beverly H. Robertson’s cavalry screened from Union observation Jackson’s movement east to join the Army of Northern Virginia near . . . — — Map (db m591) HM|
|Having successfully driven Gen. Nathaniel Bank's Union army from the Shenadoah Valley in late May 1862, Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's "foot cavalry" had little time to reset. While one Union army under Gen. John C. Frémont was bearing down . . . — — Map (db m12079) HM|
|Operated from 1870–1910 about ¼ mile north of U.S. 211 over the South Fork of the Shenandoah River with its approach road close to the existing White House. You can easily see the White House, on the east side of the river, as you drive to the . . . — — Map (db m573) HM|
| Having remained with his command
in the vicinity of Winchester since the
Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam, by
November 22, 1862, Gen. Thomas J.
“Stonewall” Jackson was again on
the march. With more than 32,000
soldiers, Jackson’s force made . . . — — Map (db m16453) HM|
|On November 24, 1862, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson moved through Page County toward Fisher’s Gap to rejoin the main body of the Army of Northern Virginia, then near Fredericksburg. Jackson was in command of the newly organized Second Corps, . . . — — Map (db m173756) HM|
|In November, 1862, Stonewall Jackson moved his 25,000 troops from Antietam to Fredericksburg. The army came through the deep notch (New Market Gap) in the first mountain range to the west (Massanutten Mountain). They followed the course of the Old . . . — — Map (db m13184) HM|
|Nearly three weeks after the Battle of Gettysburg, and in the wake of a sharp fight near Front Royal at Wapping Heights (Manassas Gap) on July 23, 1863, Confederate troops from Gen. Richard S. Ewell’s corps withdrew to the Page Valley. On July 25, . . . — — Map (db m13111) HM|
|In September 1864, Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan detached two cavalry divisions under Gen. Alfred T. A. Torbert to move into the Page Valley. While the bulk of Sheridan’s army would strike Gen. Jubal A. Early’s Confederates at Fisher’s Hill, Torbert . . . — — Map (db m155818) HM|
|On October 2, 1864, elements of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry Division under Col. William H. Powell reached this area near Luray and quickly laid waste to the Willow Grove Mill. Amanda Moore, wife of the mill’s owner, later recalled, "We had the Mill, Saw . . . — — Map (db m11034) HM|
|On 22 May 1865, after the Civil War ended, Capt. George W. Summers, Sgt. I. Newton Koontz, and two other armed veterans of Co. D, 7th Virginia Cavalry, en route to obtain their paroles, robbed six Federal cavalrymen of their horses near Woodstock. . . . — — Map (db m15902) HM|
|(Left Side):Would it not be a blame for us if their memories part from our land & heart and a wrong to them & a shame for us the glories they won shall not wane for us in legend & lay our heroes in gray shall forever live over again for us. . . . — — Map (db m16457) HM|