Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tobyhanna Township, Pennsylvania History Tour Historical Markers

Located on top of the Pocono Mountain Plateau, the community shares a remarkable history of its people and resources. This series of historical roadside markers has been donated by community organizations and individuals that are proud of their heritage. When completed in the spring of 2017, a driving tour map will be available to enjoy the significant historical details of Tobyhanna Township
 
Blakeslee United Methodist Church image, Touch for more information
By Rick Bodenschatz, June 26, 2016
Blakeslee United Methodist Church
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Blakeslee United Methodist Church
The oldest congregation in the area first assembled in a log schoolhouse in 1840. A church was built in 1852, when Pastor Frederick Illman presided. In 1897 it was replaced with this building, which was enlarged in 1960. Seventeen stained glass . . . — Map (db m97303) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Easton and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike
A privately-owned toll road was chartered in 1803 and completed by 1816. It followed the course of today’s route 115 in our township, with tollgates about every 17-miles. Grain from the Wyoming Valley, lumber from the Poconos, and building plaster . . . — Map (db m104520) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Harrison Amusement Park
From 1930,families flocked here, to a creekside beach and attractions on both sides of the road: Sporting fields, miniature railroad, carousel, stone skating rink, clubhouse, swimming pools, dining hall and penny arcade. The place was hopping as . . . — Map (db m104525) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — Jacob Blakeslee, Jr.1822-1896
Blakeslee was the influential community leader for whom this village was named. He was a merchant, farmer and lumberman, owning several thousand acres. A trustee of the Methodist Church built in 1852, and the town’s first postmaster in 1883, Jacob . . . — Map (db m97890) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The First Schoolhouse
Our community pioneered public education before the state mandated it in 1834. A log schoolhouse was built in 1831, with Miss Sarah Winters as the first teacher. Few married women were employed in that era. By 1860, the township’s four schools each . . . — Map (db m104529) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Blakeslee — The Great Swamp
The local landscape was formed over 11,000 years ago by the retreating Wisconsin glacier. As the ice melted, it left behind massive boulders and rocks, known as “drift deposits”. This geological event created vast areas of swampy land . . . — Map (db m104530) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Forest Products Industry
The area’s vast timber resources spawned a myriad of wood-related industries. 30 sawmills existed in 1830. With increasing demand, larger sawmills and specialty production opened, including a clothespin factory. Over 20 products were made, such as . . . — Map (db m104540) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Isaac Stauffer"King of the Poconos"
Stauffer (1834-1919) engaged in lumbering on an enormous scale, reinvesting his profits in land. He accumulated over 4,000 acres in this area. Business ventures included manufacturing, a saw mill, ice companies and Pocono Lake’s first phone company. . . . — Map (db m104545) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Sullivan Bridge
General John Sullivan’s 1779 Revolutionary War expedition built a road through this area. Only one bridge was required from Easton to Wilkes-Barre, and it crossed Tobyhanna Creek here. Camped nearby, over 500 troops completed the difficult . . . — Map (db m103664) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — The Battle of Locust Ridge

On August 2, 1784, a battle was fought here in the 3rd Yankee-Pennamite War. After a brutal winter, the Yankee Settlers were forcibly pushed from their homes in the Wyoming Valley by the Pennsylvania Militia. As a result, a battle of the campaign . . . — Map (db m97711) HM

Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — Wagner's Tree Farm
In 1888, George E. Wagner founded this tree farm on 1,700 acres. He and his son, Sterling R. Wagner, achieved recognition in the fields of forestry and conservation. A WB&E rail spur provided an outlet for forest products, coal, blueberries, and . . . — Map (db m97721) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Lake — William Henry ChristmanFirst At Arlington
During the Civil War, Christman of Pocono Lake enlisted in the 67th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Volunteers. He sent his military pay and enlistment bonus to his penniless parents so they could buy land for a family home and farm. On May 13, 1864 . . . — Map (db m103670) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Historic Pocono Lake Cemetery
This burial ground has served the surrounding area since the Civil War era. A walk among the markers takes you back in time. Here lie those who built our community. Some worked in logging, ice harvesting or farming. Some founded schools, churches, . . . — Map (db m85408) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Hungry Hill MemorialSullivan's Expedition
This encampment site was named by General Sullivan’s Expedition of the Revolutionary War, 1779, en route north to avenge the Wyoming Massacre. They called the adjacent swamp Hell’s Kitchen. Army engineers built this first road on the Pocono Plateau, . . . — Map (db m84565) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Ice Harvesting Industry
Ice was harvested on local lakes from 1896 thru the 1940s. Vast icehouses insulated with sawdust at Naomi Lake, Pocono Lake, Stillwater Lake, Anglewood lake and Brady’s Lake kept tons of ice frozen through summer. Blocks of ice were shipped by rail . . . — Map (db m104537) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Lutherland
In 1926, Lutherans from the NY metro area created a vacation site dedicated to Christian values. This was the entrance to over 1,300 acres on which their dream was realized. A lake, hotels, youth camps, and family cottages were built in a pristine . . . — Map (db m97156) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Naomi Pines House
Franklin Comfort Miller opened a summer resort on this site in 1888. His beautiful Victorian hotel offered guests lush woodlands, pure streams and healthy spring water. Naomi Lake (1895) added swimming and boating. Room cost of $8 weekly included . . . — Map (db m104543) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Pocono Pines Assembly
An independent “Chautauqua” was organized in 1902 by followers of Rev. Rufus W. Miller. Occupying 300 acres, it was initially named “Naomi Pines Assembly and Summer Schools”. Hotels. Auditorium and a library provided . . . — Map (db m104490) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Summer Youth Camps
After 1900, Pocono camps became popular destinations for children from outside this area. Recreation activities including swimming, boating, riding and sports. “Sleep away” experience was a first for most campers. Pocohanna, Owaissa, . . . — Map (db m95755) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The First Fire Company / The Clymer Library
The First Fire Company Built in 1935, the Pocono Pines Fire Company included offices for police, township supervisors and support staff. Its Goodwill Community Club offered space for public “meetings, suppers and various . . . — Map (db m104528) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Lumbering Industry
Pocono timberlands, trees as far as the eye could see, laid the foundation of soaring commerce during the latter half of the 19th century. Innovative and energetic logging of mammoth white pine, eastern hemlock and hardwoods fueled the growth of . . . — Map (db m96410) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Stagecoach Inn
A log-framed inn served travelers on Sullivan Road, circa 1850. Rooms, food and drink were available. It also housed church services and a post office for the town, then known as Tompkinsville. Operated by Frederick P. Miller and his son Timothy, . . . — Map (db m97597) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Tobyhanna Township
The first permanent settlers were attracted to this area by an abundance of natural resources: land, trees, water. The township was incorporated in 1830, with 230 residents. It was named after Tobyhanna Creek, “A stream lined with . . . — Map (db m104538) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad
In 1893 a single track line was built from Wilkes-Barre to Stroudsburg. It was the shortest route to a connecting line, taking anthracite coal to tidewater ports in New Jersey for domestic and export markets. With stations at Naomi Pines, Pocono . . . — Map (db m104547) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines and Pocono Lake — Salem United Church of Christ
This 1883 building, initially the German Reformed Church, is the oldest surviving religious structure in the area, with the original bell still in its steeple. Legendary Pocono businessman Isaac Stauffer was a founder. Land donated by Charles Gravel . . . — Map (db m92320) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement