Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coventry, England Historical Markers

 
11 Priory Row image, Touch for more information
By Michael Herrick, August 11, 2018
11 Priory Row
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 11 Priory Row
11 Priory Row Early 18th century town house with fine brick front and stone dressings in Roman Ionic style, rebuilt and restored after extensive bomb damage this house with nearby Nos 7 and 16 Little Park Street are the only surviving examples of . . . — Map (db m124733) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 22 & 23 Bayley Lane
22 & 23 Bayley Lane No 22 ‘The Cottage’ built about 1500 is the only remaining example of numerous medieval timber framed houses which stood in this area. Notable for its original carved and traceried woodwork. Chimneys were added in the 17 . . . — Map (db m124728) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 7 Priory Row
7 Priory Row Built circa 1800, this house with Nos 8-10 Priory Row are the best surviving examples of late 18th century town houses in Coventry John Gulson Mayor 1867 and 1868 a generous public benefactor lived here 1835-1904 — Map (db m124735) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 9 – 10 Priory Row
9-10 Priory Row Fine examples of early 19th century town houses. built over part of the site of the Cathedral Priory of St Mary founded 1043. Cellars under this house include parts of the priory ruins, approximately 4 metres (13ft) below the . . . — Map (db m124734) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Angela Brazil
Angela Brazil Children’s Writer Lived and Worked Here 1911 - 1947 — Map (db m124936) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Blue Coat School
Blue Coat School Opened as a charity school in 1714 rebuilt on the same site 1856-7 with Gothic architecture in the style of a French chateau. The two octagonal stone towers embody bases of towers of the ruined Monastic Church of St Mary dating . . . — Map (db m124905) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Cathedral Church of St Michael A house of worship, dedicated to the Archangel, St Michael, has stood on this site from the time of Henry I in the 12th Century. From its beginnings as a small Norman chapel, St Michael's progressively enlarged, . . . — Map (db m124653) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Choir of Survivors
Chor der Überlebenden Choir of Survivors Geschenk Der Stiftung Frauenkirche Dresden Zum 50-Jährigen Jubiläumder Weihe Der St. Michael’s-Kathedrale Von Coventry Am 25. Mai 2012 Donation of the Frauenkirche Foundation Dresden For the . . . — Map (db m124647) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Christchurch Spire
This Tower and Spire formed the centre of the Church of the Grey Friars built in 1350 with stone from a quarry nearby owned by the Black Prince. The Friary was demolished in 1512 but the spire was left standing in a garden until 1829 when . . . — Map (db m124934) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — County Hall
County Hall Built 1783-4 architect Samuel Eglinton. Used for the county court and quarter sessions. It is the only remaining 18th century public building of architectural distinction in Coventry. At one time it also housed the prison governor of . . . — Map (db m124732) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Coventry Cathedral
Coventry Cathedral – Living Icon of Reconciliation and Hope In 1940 this building, together with much of the city, was destroyed by fire bombs. Resolved to live out the Christian message of forgiveness, and running counter to the feelings of . . . — Map (db m124659) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dame Ellen Terry
Dame Ellen Terry Actress Born 27th Feb. 1847 in a house which stood nearby — Map (db m124642) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Donald Gibson CBE
‘He was ahead of his time. What he did astonished the world. Coventry desperately needed his inspiration’ Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, C.B.E., D.C.L., M.A., P.P.R.I.B.A., D.I.S.T., T.P., M.T.P.I., T.P.I. Born 11th October 1908, Died . . . — Map (db m124560) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dresden Place
This plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dresden Herr Gerhard Schill in the presence of His Excellency the Ambassador of the German Democratic Republic Herr Karl-Heinz Kern and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor G.W. . . . — Map (db m124933) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ecce Homo
Ecce Homo The ststue was carved by Sir Jacob Epstein during 1934 – 5 from a block of Subiaco marble. It was given to Coventry Cathedral at the wish of Lady Epstein and dedicated on 22 March 1969. Ecce Homo represents Christ before Pilate . . . — Map (db m124658) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ford’s Hospital
Ford’s Hospital Named after William Ford who’s will of 1509 endowed the almshouses. Built around a narrow court yard it is one of the most perfect examples of timber framed architecture in the country. Badly damaged by an air raid of November 1940 . . . — Map (db m124930) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Gift To The People Of Coventry
A gift to the people of Coventry From Catholic citizens Blessed by Vincent Eighth Archbishop of Birmingham 11 March 2001 — Map (db m124912) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Godiva
Self-sacrifice Godiva She rode forth clothed with Chastity: the deep air listen’d round Her as she rode and all the low wind Hardly breathed for fear     Tennyson Godiva Then she rode back clothed on with Chastity … . . . — Map (db m122584) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Golden Cross Inn
The Golden Cross Inn Built circa 1583. Much restored, one of the most dramatic examples of medieval timber framed building to survive in Coventry with oversailing or ‘jettied’ upper floors on exposed timbers — Map (db m124731) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Grey Friars Gate
Bull Yard was formally a short street (Bull Street) leading to Barracks Square Market (now the Barracks car park), but on Samuel Bradford’s 1748-49) Coventry map it was part of a much longer path leading from Greyfriars gate to Smithford Street, . . . — Map (db m124937) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Home Front Memorial
In gratitude to God and to commend to future generations the self-sacrifice of all those who served on the Homefront during the Second World War ( inscribed on the perimeter ) Let each of you look not to your own . . . — Map (db m124648) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs
Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs First Bishop of the Revived See of Coventry 1918 – 1922 — Map (db m124656) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — John Hewitt
John Hewitt Irish Poet Art Director At This Gallery 1957 – 72 Coventry Heritage Plaques — Map (db m124548) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Godiva’s Cathedral
Godiva, Lady of Coventry (died 10th September 1067) and her husband Leofric, Earl of Mercia (died 28th September 1057) were buried here in the church of the Benedictine monastery they founded in 1043 on the site of St Osburg’s nunnery, . . . — Map (db m124907) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Herbert’s Garden
Lady Herbert’s Garden & Garden of International Friendship Lady Herbert’s Garden was laid out in the 1930s by Alfred Herbert as a memorial to his second wife. The garden of International Friendship was opened in 2000 as part of the City . . . — Map (db m124941) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 North — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The north side of the nave was rebuilt in Gothic style in the early 13th century. Pointed arches were supported on typically diamond-shaped bases. The piece of stone on display represents the Gothic architecture of much of the cathedral and . . . — Map (db m124913) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 South — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The south side of the nave was built in the 12th century in Norman Romanesque style. The pieces of stone here display the robust Romanesque architecture f this side of the cathedral. The half round shaft is typical of this style and many would . . . — Map (db m124911) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Reconciliation
Reconciliation In 1995, 50 years after the end of the Second World War this sculpture by osefina de Vasconcellos has been given by Richard Branson as a token of reconciliation. An identical sculpture has been placed on behalf of the people . . . — Map (db m124652) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Royal Warwickshire Regiment Memorial
1914   1918 To the Glorious Memory Of the Officers and Men of The 7th Battalions The Royal Warwickshire Regiment Who Fell in The Great War This Tablet was Erected by Their Comrades — Map (db m124660) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Ruined Cathedral Church of St. Michael Dates from 1300AD. One of the largest parish churches in England, built originally for the Earl's Half of Coventry, it became the Cathedral of the Diocese of Coventry in 1918. The magnificent west tower . . . — Map (db m124727) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sanctuary
The Sanctuary, built in the 14th century and destroyed in the 20th. The cross of burnt roof timbers, the cross of nails in the cathedral and the altar of broken stones, are symbols of the Christian hope of resurrection after suffering. The Litany . . . — Map (db m124657) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Service of Remembrance
· · nation shall not lift up sword against nation — neither shall they learn war anymore · Micah 4 · 3 · 1940 Coventry 1990 forward in friendship This plaque was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The . . . — Map (db m124654) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sir Frank Whittle
Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle OM, KBE, CB, FRS, FRAeS This statue celebrates the centenary of Frank Whittle’s birth in Coventry and shows him watching the first test flight of a jet-propelled Gloster-Whittle E28/39 on 15 May 1941 . . . — Map (db m124938) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Mary’s Hall
St Mary’s Hall Built 1340-1460 restored 1824 thought to include parts of a 12 century castle in the south wall. Originally the guild hall and chambers for the merchants guilds of St Mary and Holy Trinity founded 1340 and 1364. Became the first seat . . . — Map (db m124729) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Michael’s Baptist Church
On this site stood St. Michaels Baptist Church from 1856 until November 1940 rebuilt at Quinton Park, Cheylesmore, Coventry. New building completed on original foundations 1991. — Map (db m124730) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Swanswell Gate
Swanswell Gate Completed circa 1440 as part of the fortified town wall, remains of which stand in the adjoining gardens. Originally named Priory Gate it gave access to the Prior’s lands outside the wall, including Swanswell Fishpool. The archways . . . — Map (db m124939) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Architect’s Vision
‘One of the finest shopping centres in the world’ The shopping precinct in Coventry has been recognised as a model for a number of similar centres throughout the world. It was the world's first large scale pedestrianised shopping area. . . . — Map (db m124563) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Cloister
The Cloister The priory cloister was situated on the north side of the cathedral. It formed a square space surrounded by monastic buildings, the most important being the chapter house on the east side. The cloister was important for its seclusion . . . — Map (db m124914) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Council House
The Council House Built 1913-17. The red sandstone facing and early tudor styling was chosen by a competition to be in keeping with nearby St Mary’s Hall. The large porch is flanked by guilded armorial decoration under giant figures of Leofric and . . . — Map (db m124554) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Coventry Theatre
The Coventry Theatre The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady . . . — Map (db m124940) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Guild Chapels
These chapels were established in the side aisles. They were commissioned in the 14th and 15th centuries for thee use of the Mercantile Guilds in the City. They were primarily chantries – endowed chapels in which Masses were sung for . . . — Map (db m124661) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Lychgate Cottages
Coventry City Council The Lychgate Cottages Named after the lychgate, through which funerals once entered Holy Trinity graveyard (Old English lic – corpse). The jetted building has been tree-ringed dated to 1414-15 and is the only . . . — Map (db m124906) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The North West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
To the left are the arches that lead into the north west tower, constructed in the early 13th century. This is the only ‘room’ surviving from the cathedral. It may have contained a chapel reached via a pointed arch from the north aisle. The two . . . — Map (db m124910) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Quadrant
The Quadrant Built circa 1860. Coventrys finest example of terraced housing for the prosperous middle-classes of that era. The neo-classic terrace is built in six individual sections each with its own variation in design. — Map (db m124935) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South Porch – Nave & Chancel – Apse
The South Porch Built around 130, the porch was retained when the main body of the early English Church was demolished in the 14th to 15th centuries. It is now called the Chapel of the Ressurection; dedicated to Bishop Mervyn Haigh in June 1942. . . . — Map (db m124645) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
There is little left of the south west tower of the cathedral except the west wall and part of the spiral staircase found in 1856. The full plan of the 13th century tower was revealed during the 1999 excavations. The square room at the bottom of . . . — Map (db m124908) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Statue of Christ
The Statue of Christ This is a second casting, in concrete, of a statue at Blundell's School in Devon. It was created by an 18 year old pupil Alain John. The Headmaster, Neville Gorton, later became Bishop of Coventry and on the death of Alain . . . — Map (db m124655) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Tower & Spire
The Tower & Spire St Michaels tower was completed in1394 and the Spire in 1433 and today stands at 294 feet. The 14th century Tower was built on the edge of a quarry on poor ground — jumble of rubble in clay with bits of old stone coffins, . . . — Map (db m124646) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The West Front — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The west front is the best preserved part of the nave. Only the interior of the wall can be seen. It was built in the early 13th century as part of a grand re-fronting of the cathedral. It was discovered in 1856 when the Blue Coat School was being . . . — Map (db m124909) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Three Ancient Edifices
You are standing upon the site of three ancient edifices On the summit of hill top (approximately on this site) a convent was established about the year 650 A.D. By a Saxon lady later canonised under the name of St Osburg. The convent was . . . — Map (db m125064) HM

50 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.