Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Oberlin, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Antoinette Brown Blackwell and First Church in Oberlin Marker, Side Two image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
Antoinette Brown Blackwell and First Church in Oberlin Marker, Side Two
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 30-47 — Antoinette Brown Blackwell and First Church in OberlinAntoinette Brown Blackwell (1825–1921)
First Church was built by the Oberlin Community in 1842-44 for the great evangelist Charles Grandison Finney (1792-1875). He was its pastor, headed Oberlin College’s Theology Department, and later became College president. In the mid-19th . . . — Map (db m144079) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 21-47 — Charles M. Hall and Frank M. Jewett
Aluminum pioneer Charles Martin Hall was born in 1863 in Thompson, Ohio (Geauga County), and moved with his family to Oberlin in 1873. Hall graduated from Oberlin College in 1885, studying chemistry under Professor Frank Fanning Jewett (1844-1926). . . . — Map (db m97823) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 26-47 — Downtown Oberlin Historic District
The intersection of Main and College streets has been the center of Oberlin since the town and college were founded in 1833. The first downtown buildings were made of wood and were destroyed by a series of spectacular fires. The first college . . . — Map (db m144173) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — Oberlin and the Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad Site —
A key junction on the Underground Railroad in Oberlin, Ohio connected at least five routes that led from slavery to freedom. No fugitive in Oberlin was ever returned to bondage. Freedom seekers lived openly in the town, and were supported by . . . — Map (db m144166) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 13-47 — Oberlin College and Community / Abolitionism in OberlinFounded in 1833 /                      
Oberlin College and Community. Reverend John Jay Shipherd and Philo Penfield Stewart envisioned an educational institution and colony dedicated to the glory of God and named in honor of John Frederick Oberlin, a pastor in the Alsace-Lorraine . . . — Map (db m144277) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 9-47 — The Burrell-King House
Jabez Lyman Burrell (1806-1900), originally from Massachusetts, built this house in 1852. Burrell made his living as a cattleman and farmer, but devoted much of his time to serving the cause of abolitionism, helping slaves who had escaped the South . . . — Map (db m101111) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — Welcome to Oberlin Heritage CenterMorgan Street Bridge Railing
This fence is made from railings that graced the Morgan Street Bridge from circa 1880 to 2008. Oberlin Heritage Center volunteers devoted many hours to salvage, repair and installed them here for all to enjoy. — Map (db m144251) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 47-23 — Westwood Cemetery
Shortly after Oberlin Colony was established in 1833, a two-acre burying ground was set aside south of Plum Creek in the area bounded by Main, Morgan, and Professor streets. By 1861, however, with the town and Oberlin College growing and the Civil . . . — Map (db m144282) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Oberlin — 27-47 — Willard Van Orman Quine
Willard Van Orman Quine was one of the greatest philosophers and logicians of the 20th century. Born in Akron on June 25, 1908, Quine studied philosophy and logic at Oberlin College (B.A. 1930). He received his Ph.D. in philosophy from Harvard . . . — Map (db m144178) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement