Home built 1912 by C. W. Post, Cereal Foods millionaire, founder of town of Post, who promoted Texas settlement and agriculture by selling land on liberal terms, founding industries.
With theme, "I Want Quality", Post installed solid . . . — — Map (db m88818) HM
Site of 1911-1914 dynamiting to produce rain, carried on by C. W. Post, Texas farm colonizer and cereal foods millionaire.
After reading that rain often accompanies cannonading in war, Post planned "battles" to relieve droughts. He . . . — — Map (db m88799) HM
Internationally known creator of Post Cereals, advertising genius, inventor and innovator, founder of Post City in 1906. Through the purchase of the Curry Comb Ranch and adjacent land approximating 225,000 acres he began his dream of building . . . — — Map (db m88804) HM
This low rainfall area, limited usually to grazing, was colonized in 1907 by C. W. Post, creator of Post Foods, and a philanthropist. By introducing new agricultural techniques, he was able to make farming profitable for colonists.
Cotton, . . . — — Map (db m110575) HM
Created in 1876, attached to Borden County 1891-1907. Organization came July 8, 1907 at the OS Ranch. According to legend, even the horses "voted" to gain the required 75 ballots. First court was held under a tent; first courthouse built in . . . — — Map (db m88806) HM
Young and Bexar Territories
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • June 15, 1907
Named in honor of
The Garza family
natives of the Canary Islands
Pioneer settlers of San Antonio
A cattle raising county . . . — — Map (db m110757) HM
After Garza County's creation in 1876, it was not until 1907, at the initiative of cereal producer C. W. Post, that the county was formally organized. In 1922, when the population had grown to about 4500 and the cotton industry had spurred . . . — — Map (db m88812) HM
Built in 1908 of lumber hauled 75 miles. Boren was first county judge, a rancher, bank director, civic leader. Hospitality of home was well known to area pioneers and cowboys visiting town.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – . . . — — Map (db m110753) HM
The Llano Ranch containing 192 sections of land was established in 1880. Known as the Curry Comb from their cattle brand, two bars over the letter T.
The first dwelling was a half dugout covered with buffalo hides. The first frame house in the . . . — — Map (db m110580) HM
Dedicated to the people of Garza County in memory of Marshall and Gladys Mason, Garza County pioneers. Donated by the families of a son and a daughter, Marshall Mason, Jr., and Mrs. James L. Minor, for use as a museum.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m88816) HM
Daughter of C. W. Post. Lived in Texas 1888-1891. Had part with father in locating colony here 1906; rescued local economy by aid after 1917 drought. Co-donor, site for Post Recreation Center. Donor, South Plains Council Boy Scouts Camp; books . . . — — Map (db m88802) HM
Built 1928, incorporating in lower walls native Garza County stones from the town's first (1909) school, erected soon after the founding of city of Post.
This historic preservation occurred under leadership of Supt. John E. Watson, outstanding . . . — — Map (db m110751) HM
First hospital in this part of West Texas. Built in 1912 by Double U Company of C. W. Post, cereals millionaire. Finest facilities: X-ray laboratory, operating and sterilizing rooms, nurses' training, diet kitchen, all rooms private, with steam . . . — — Map (db m88814) HM
County's first hand-dug rock-walled well. Dug 1883 by Llano Ranch workmen. Well is 5 feet square, 40 feet deep and lined with sandstones placed without the use of mortar.
Original wood curb was destroyed by fire, 1937. Present curb is replica. . . . — — Map (db m110579) HM
Founded 1907 by industrialist C. W. Post.
Early abundant water supply by windmills above Caprock. Later from White River Lake. Extensive ranching and farming. Postex Cotton Mills, making sheets and pillowcases, furnish year-round employment. . . . — — Map (db m110759) HM
Established 1912 by C. W. Post, creator of Post Cereals and a philanthropist. Mill was a part of Post's dream of diversified income for Garza County farmers and prosperity for town of Post.
Mill--one of world's first to process cotton from raw . . . — — Map (db m110756) HM
Second school in the county. Established in 1904 as Graham Chapel School; named for local settler Newt Graham. A school was built on land given by Joe McMahon. Early trustees: McMahon, J. F. Maxey, and J. I. Wilbourn.
Second building was . . . — — Map (db m110576) HM
In 1907, young Vera Westbrook died in Post City and was laid to rest in a grave near Two Draw Road. In 1908, with the death of Vertie Rogers Conn, the board of directors of the Double U Co. told town founder C. W. Post in Battle Creek, Michigan, . . . — — Map (db m105184) HM
From "Double U", "Lazy S", Conneil and Currycomb Ranch canyons, round rocks were collected and made into gate piers in 1908 when cereal king C. W. Post founded Post City.
George Samson designed and with fellow Scotsman James Napier built the . . . — — Map (db m105498) HM
Charles W. Post (1854-1914), famed cereal manufacturer who founded this community as a model town, occupied this residence during his frequent visits here. Employees of the Double U Company constructed the cottage in 1907 using native stone . . . — — Map (db m110754) HM
Used as a landmark in the 19th century by surveyors sighting from Duffy's Peak, located ten miles northeast. Jasper Hays, earliest recorded surveyor of this area, used the peaks during 1877-78 for charting the Llano Ranch, later bought by C. . . . — — Map (db m88800) HM