On November 18, 1899 the first electric streetcar arrived in Romeo.
It moved up a track in the center of Main Street, connected by long rods to overhead electrical lines. Later, it turned west on St. Clair Street to the new Detroit United . . . — — Map (db m123383) HM
Romeo's foundry industry was well-established
when Lyman Holmes contacted Ford Motor Company in 1907. Ford was having problems getting engine parts for the Model N automobile from foundries in Detroit. Holmes managed the Romeo Foundry, that . . . — — Map (db m123458) HM
A lifelong resident of the Village of Romeo and art instructor in our local schools, Helen bequeathed her home to the community to be used as an art and historical center "dedicated to promoting and fostering an appreciation of local art and . . . — — Map (db m123540) HM
This shop has sheltered many types of work over the years.
Built on its original South Bailey Street site in 1864, its owners included a tinsmith and a furniture upholsterer. Later, blacksmith Clyde Craig worked in the building for 50 . . . — — Map (db m123327) HM
In the early nineteenth century Methodists began holding camp meetings, an outgrowth of their early revivals. Revival services were held during the winter months, and late summer was generally reserved for the district camp meeting. . . . — — Map (db m123303) HM
During the 1820's and 1830's pioneers from New York state and New England brought their cultural heritage to this community *** They and later settlers built homes and other structures of architectural distinction which qualified Romeo to be . . . — — Map (db m123471) HM
Originally known as Indian Village, Romeo was platted in 1830 on the former winter campgrounds of a band of Chippewa Indians. Nathaniel Taylor, Ashael Bailey and a Major Larned laid out the village, which was incorporated in 1838. Named Romeo by . . . — — Map (db m123372) HM
Romeo was a world of wheels, long before the automobile.
In the mid-1800s, a carriage industry developed here which was responsible for much of the prosperity of the Village of Romeo. This is still seen in the beautiful old homes built . . . — — Map (db m123364) HM