Area 146 Square Miles
Formed in 1673 from Lancaster, and named for an English County. Rosegill, frequented by colonial governors, is here.
Area 223 Square Miles
Formed in 1651 from York, and named . . . — — Map (db m7414) HM
King and Queen County
Area 320 Square Miles
Formed in 1691 from New Kent, and named for King William III and Queen Mary. The family of George Rogers Clark long lived in this county.
Gloucester . . . — — Map (db m25266) HM
Land was patented on this creek as early as 1640. In 1653, John Lewis settled here. John Lewis, Jr., was living here in 1676 when Bacon's troops were encamped near by. He suffered from the depredations of the rebels. — — Map (db m25265) HM
During the summer of 1663, indentured servants (held for several years of service) in the Poropotank River and Purtan Bay region plotted an insurrection against their masters to occur on 13 Sept. 1663. It was prevented when John Berkenhead, servant . . . — — Map (db m129028) HM
Walking straight into the mouth of early death facing superior enemy fire power and while greatly outnumbered, this soldier displayed courage and valor, above and beyond the call of duty. His act of conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity occurred May . . . — — Map (db m14112) HM
Half a mile east is Christ Church, Middlesex. The first building was erected about 1666; the present one in 1712. About 1840 the church was restored. The colonial governor, Sir Henry Chicheley, is buried there. — — Map (db m27001) HM
In 1849, the county seat of Middlesex was moved from Urbanna to Saluda. Engineer John P. Hill completed the present courthouse in 1852. During the Civil War, Federal cavalrymen stationed in Yorktown made several excursions through the county. Court . . . — — Map (db m14110) HM
The resistance of Irene Morgan (1917-2007) to segregation led to an important court case. On 16 July 1944, Morgan refused to give up her seat on a Greyhound bus to a white passenger. After a struggle with Middlesex County sheriffs she was arrested. . . . — — Map (db m74700) HM
Two miles to the north, in the colonial port of entry of Urbanna, is a restored eighteenth century storehouse. Scottish merchants became active commercial factors in the colony subsequent to the Act of Union of England and Scotland. Urbanna was . . . — — Map (db m26861) HM
In Christ Churchyard immediately to the north lies buried Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell Puller, USMC. He led Marines in 19 campaigns from Haiti and Nicaragua through the Korean War, receiving 53 decorations and the admiration and affection of . . . — — Map (db m26976) HM