Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sharon, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier Marker
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-14 — Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier
About 3/4 miles from here, in the Grier family cemetery, is the marked grave of Gen. Aaron Grier, born near here Dec. 2, 1794. When quite young, with Gen. Floyd, he fought the Creek Indians, distinguishing himself at the Battles of Autossee and . . . — Map (db m24909) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-8 — Rayís Place – Now Raytown
Rayís Place, oldest community in Taliaferro County, was, in the late 1790ís and early 1800ís, a recreation center on Little River for the “livelier social set” of Washington. It was named for a Ray family from New York who lived in . . . — Map (db m25124) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-19 — Raytown Methodist Church
This church is located in that part of the original Wilkes Circuit of 1786, “the cradle of Georgia Methodism,” from which Bishop Francis Asbury formed the Little River Circuit at the Camden, S. C. Conference in January 1802. The Raytown . . . — Map (db m25129) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-13 — Robert Grier, Astronomer ó >>>------>
On this land, in the plantation home of his father, Aaron Grier, Sr., Revolutionary soldier, Robert Grier, founder of the nationally famous “Grierís Almanac,” was born in 1782. The remarkable astronomical calculations which led to the . . . — Map (db m25127) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-12 — South Liberty Presbyterian Church
In 1820, several members of Liberty Church, Wilkes County, petitioned to form a new church, South Liberty, because of “distance, bad roads, high water in winter.” A log church was built in 1828 about 4 miles east of Sharon on land given . . . — Map (db m24899) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-5 — The Church of the Purification Locust Grove Academy
In 1790 several Catholic families of English descent from Maryland settled near Locust Grove. They established the first Roman Catholic Church in Georgia and erected a log church in 1792. A priest, Father John LeMoin, was sent to it from Baltimore. . . . — Map (db m24896) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement