Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharon in Taliaferro County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ray's Place

Now Raytown

 
 
Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker
Inscription.  Ray's Place, oldest community in Taliaferro County, was, in the late 1790's and early 1800's, a recreation center on Little River for the "livelier social set" of Washington. It was named for a Ray family from New York who lived in Washington for several years. In later years the famed Wrightsboro Road came through Raytown and the stage road from Double Wells (Barnett) to Washington. The parents and grandparents of Jefferson Davis owned plantations near Raytown in the early 1800's. Mrs. Davis, fleeing Federal forces in 1865, spent a night in Raytown.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 131-8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
 
Location. 33° 34.16′ N, 82° 45.153′ W. Marker is near Sharon, Georgia, in Taliaferro County. Marker is at the intersection of Lumburg Sharon Road (County Route
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
79) and Double Wells Road (County Route 21), on the right when traveling east on Lumburg Sharon Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon GA 30664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Raytown Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Grier, Astronomer (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier (approx. ¾ mile away); The Church of the Purification (approx. 2.4 miles away); South Liberty Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Chivers Plantation and Store (approx. 5.4 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Original R.F.D. (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon.
 
Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker
Looking north: Lumburg Sharon Road is to the left at the crossroads; Upper Mill Road to the north; Lower Mill Road to the right; and Double Wells Road to the south
Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Ray’s Place – Now Raytown Marker
Another view of the crossroads at Raytown
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,123 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25124

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024