Long before miners and ranchers settled Stanley Basin, bears dominated this area.
When Alexander Ross and his Hudson's Bay Company trappers stopped here, September 20, 1824, they "observed at some distance the appearance of a ploughed field, . . . — — Map (db m110042) HM
Prospectors panned for gold in the Yankee Fork-Salmon River area from the late 1860's to 1879.
Then in 1880 the Yankee Fork Consolidated Gravel Mining Company built a ditch to bring water here for their new hydraulic gold mining operations. . . . — — Map (db m110013) HM
In memory of Charley J. Langer, District Forest Ranger, Challis National Forest, Pilot Captain Bill Kelly and Co-Pilot Arthur A. Crofts of the U.S. Army killed in an airplane crash April 5, 1943 near this point while searching for survivors of an . . . — — Map (db m117661) HM
Foundations along the trail reflect earlier times when hot springs attracted travelers, settlers, and businessmen. Tales are told of early hot pools, cabins, and chicken raising operations.
An attempt to raise chickens here was made by the . . . — — Map (db m110039) HM
River rafters and kayakers now find whitewater excitement on this stretch of the Salmon River. Early photographs help us discover that these rapids were once replaced by a lake.
Whitewater was missing after the completion of Sunbeam Dam. . . . — — Map (db m110011) HM
When Challis National Forest was established in 1908, this site became an administrative center. Early log Ranger Stations stood here from 1909 to 1932.
Expanding Forest Service responsibilities led to construction of a larger ranger . . . — — Map (db m110043) HM
This 1937 stonework building remains as a tribute to Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) craftsmanship. CCC workers from Camp Clayton built the structure. It was originally used as a bathhouse and is now a historic site.
The National Forest System . . . — — Map (db m110038) HM
The Sunbeam Dam was constructed by the Sunbeam Consolidated Gold Mines Company to provide power for their mill located 13 miles up Yankee Fork on Jordan Creek.
Construction of the dam and power plant began in June, 1909, and was completed in . . . — — Map (db m110010) HM
Alexander Ross and his Hudsons Bay Company fur trappers were the first white men to visit these hot springs. His dairy describes camping "at the boiling fountain" when they came here on October 1, 1824.
Hot springs result when hot water reached . . . — — Map (db m110040) HM