Donalds in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenville Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Burial Place of
Erected 1935 by Kosciuszko Chapter, D.A.R. of Greenwood, S.C. (Marker Number 377.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 21.05′ N, 82° 18.117′ W. Marker is in Donalds, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Shoals Junction Road (U.S. 178) and Bell Road, on the right when traveling south on Old Shoals Junction Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Greenville Church Road, Donalds SC 29638, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Donalds Grange No. 497 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Templeton-Drake Cabin ca. 1764 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Boonesborough Township (1763) (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ware Shoals Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Benjamin DeWitt Riegel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Good Hope Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Angela Marlow Newton (approx. 5 miles away); Rev. J.I. Bonner Monument (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Donalds.
Regarding Greenville Presbyterian Church.
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Greenville Presbyterian Church has been a site of Presbyterian worship since 1773. Rev. John Harris, the first stated minister of Greenville Presbyterian Church and a native of Wales, was a staunch supporter of American independence. Supposedly, he carried his rifle wherever he went, even into the pulpit, in case British troops disturbed his service. In 1852, the congregation dedicated the current red-brick building. Builders used clay dug from the church’s property to make the bricks for this edifice. An educational building was added in 1952, and in 1953, the Sears Roebuck Foundation and Emory University awarded Greenville Presbyterian the “Rural Church of the Year Award.” The church became fully air-conditioned in 1979.
Also see . . .
1. Greenville Presbyterian Church. Regular (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Greenville Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. This congregation began meeting on this site in 1773. (Submitted on February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Find a Grave: Greenville Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Includes photos of 192 tombstones. (Submitted on February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Greenville Presbyterian Church Website. This is the link to the website of Greenville Presbyterian Church for further information about their current activities as a congregation as well as additional historical and cemetery data. (Submitted on May 19, 2013, by Jonathan Bowling of Donalds, South Carolina.)
1. Greenville Presbyterian Church - National Register Nomination Form.(1998)
Greenville Presbyterian Church is located in a rural setting in Greenwood County, on state road 54 (Greenville Church Road), approximately .25 miles west of US Highway 178, in the vicinity of Shoals Junction and Donalds. Regular religious services and social gatherings have been conducted on this site since 1773. The church building itself has also been in continuous use since its construction
The church building, finished in a straightforward and unadorned "meeting house" form, however, basically Greek or Classical Revival in style, is rectangular in shape and measures 64' 10" x 46' 9". It is constructed of brick handmade on the site. It features solid brick walls sixteen inches thick. The foundation, also of brick construction, is approximately eight inches thicker than the walls. A Portland cement stucco was applied to the foundation during the early twentieth century, and is in need of repair or removal. The bricks are laid in a five-to-one common bond with a dirt/lime-based mortar. Since original construction the exterior brick walls have been repointed with a sand/lime-based mortar. The exterior walls are twenty feet high. The roof features boxed cornices and pedimented brick gables. The roof structure was designed to be "a Self supporting one Plan & Size of timbers at the discretion of the undertaker who is to be responsible for its Strength & adaptation to the building for which it is intended."
The principal facade (east gable end) is three-bays wide and consists of a central entrance with a double-leaf paneled door, approached by four stone or masonry steps with iron handrail, flanked by two six-aver-six, double-hung sash windows. On the upper or gallery level are three six-light windows. On either side elevation and near the front are single-leaf entrances to the church's narthex, and four large six-over-six, double-hung sash windows, and on the west (rear) elevation are two six-over-six, double-hung sash. Because of a rear brick addition, the northernmost window is no longer exposed to view from the exterior. All windows and doors feature jack arches and louvered wooden shutters, except for those on the southern and western exposure.
The narthex is twelve feet wide with an eight-foot
The sanctuary measures 52' x 44' with a ceiling height of seventeen feet. The ceilings of the narthex and sanctuary are constructed of hand planed tongue and groove pine boards of various widths, and they remain in excellent condition. The plaster walls, applied directly to the brick, remain in excellent condition, and are
A brick educational building was added to the rear of the building in 1952; however, it is connected by a narrow building which is recessed sufficiently from the side walls of the historic sanctuary, is lower in height and profile, and therefore does not detract from or overwhelm the original structure.
The Session House is located forty-one feet to the south and parallel to the church and is of the same style and material as the church. It measures eighteen feet by fourteen feet with exterior walls measuring fourteen feet high and the ceiling ten feet in height. The Session House is thought to have been built before 1859 by James Seawright for the sum of $174.75.
A large cemetery, located immediately across the dirt road and in front of the church contains graves which date from the eighteenth century, the earliest being 1777. Identifiable
A natural spring is located some five hundred feet northwest of the church on church property. It is enclosed with cut granite stone, was used for drinking water as well as for baptisms, and remains in use today.
Greenville Presbyterian Church is significant for its broad impact on the history of the area known as Long Canes in what is now Greenwood County. The church, along with other Presbyterian churches in the Long Canes area, influenced the basic structure of society for Scots-Irish settlers in this part of South Carolina. The earliest history of Greenville Presbyterian Church is interwoven with that of the Scots-Irish pioneers who, in the 1760s, petitioned their Synod for ministers as they sought to establish and maintain a Presbyterian Church in the Long Canes area of the colony of South Carolina.
Saluda church is believed to have been named so because many of its members resided near the Saluda River. When the church was chartered in 1787, Saluda changed its name to Greenville Presbyterian Church. The site for the church was located centrally in Boonesborough township which had been laid out in the 1760s for prospective Scots-Irish immigrants. The 1787 church was a log structure, but was replaced in 1804 with a wood-sided building.
In 1852 the present church building was constructed, consisting of a sanctuary, gallery, and narthex. The church was built from bricks made on the site some 400 yards southeast of the church. The new building housed a congregation that had slowly, but steadily, grown from just a small faithful few
The date the cemetery at Greenville Presbyterian was established is unknown. The earliest mention of the cemetery in church records appears in 1888, but the earliest identifiable marker is from 1777 and there are at least twenty-seven soldiers from the American Revolution buried at Greenville.
— Submitted February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Unveil Markers Today at Graves of Heroes in Revolutionary War
by Jim Oliphant
June 15, 1952
It's quite an event when descendants from 26 states gather in a country churchyard to pay tribute to a handful of men who fought in America's first war.
That's what is happening today at historic Greenville Presbyterian Church at Shoals Junction near Donalds in
Markers at the graves of 33 Revolutionary War heroes and their wives will be unveiled by their descendants.
Today is the 46th annual Wyatt reunion, 190th anniversary of the founding of Greenville Church and a day of honor for those who sleep in this picturesque cemetery.
More than 200 descendants live in Spartanburg County and countless others in the Piedmont section. More than 30 from this county will take part in the day's program.
A tableau-pageant of 400 persons, all of them descendants of the Revolutionary War soldiers, will be a highlight of the program. Of this number 240 will be children dressed in white, wearing three-ribbon sashes of red, white, and blue.
Chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution throughout the state and adjacent areas in Georgia will be represented.
Philip Willkie of Rushville, Ind., son of Mrs. Wendell Willkie and the late Mr. Willkie, is expected to be principal speaker. Mr. Willkie has three Revolutionary ancestors buried here.
Another distinguished visitor for the day is expected to be Gov. Adlai Stephenson of Illinois who also has Revolutionary ancestors buried in the churchyard.
Gen. W.P. Shepard of Fort Jackson will pay tribute to the Revolutionary soldiers. Families will spread their picnic lunches in the nearby Roadside Park. About 2,000 are
Greenville Church, sometimes called Greenvale, furnished 75 soldiers in the Revolution and 50 of them are buried here. At their graves shining white markers, official War Department ones, have been erected.
Though the Wyatt family first began the grave-marking project for 16 Revolutionary soldiers of their family, other allied families later joined them.
Leonardo Andrea of Columbia, chairman of arrangement for the day, said many Revolutionary relics will be on display and it is planned to raise money to furnish a memorial room in the new parish house which is being constructed at the church.
The Greenville Church was organized June 15, 1762 on the banks of Saluda River, moving later to the present site. It is deep in the tradition of the South and is known in many places.
When the late rev. J.M. Dallas, one of the pastors, wrote a history of the church, he told of how rigidly its members observed the Sabbath. He said that on Sunday there was no cooking and no visiting by neighbors and the Ten Commandments were kept by the entire congregation.
A monument to theScotch-Irish pioneers is among many memorials in the church.
Beside the Wyatt clan here are families holding reunions today at the church: Agnew, Haddon, Johnson, Purdy, Stewart, Wardlaw, Brownlee, Jarvis, Miller, Richey, Swain, Wilson, Rasor, LaBoon,
Here are Revolutionary soldiers and their wives whose memory will be honored:
Sam Agnew and Elizabeth Seawright
George Brownlee and Sarah Caldwell
Samuel Cross and Elizabeth Finley
James Dunn and Agnes Agnew
Robert Hadden Sr. and Jane Ross Lindsay
Robert Hadden Jr. and Jean Seawright
Francis Johnson and Margaret Seawright
Samuel Pharr and Elizabeth Bailey
Christian Rasor and Sarah Sims
James Richey Sr. and Margaret Caldwell
James Richey Kr., and Elizabeth Dunn
John Richey and Nancy Ann Brownlee
Robert Richey and Nancy Ann Brownlee
Robert Richey and Mary Stewart Wier
Andrew Seawright and Mary Eleanor Dickson
James Seawright and Elizabeth McCullough
Edward Sharp and Eleanor
Moses Smith and Ann Cullom
Wyatt Smith and Elizabeth Sandord
William Stewart and Jennet Cladwell
John Swain, Mary Smith and Anna Mayne
Robert Swain Sr. and wife
John Wardlaw Sr., Elizabeth Coalter and Mary Liller
John Wardlaw and Jane Bowman
James Webb and Elizabeth Maxwell
Andrew Webb and Agnes
John Wier and Mary Stewart
George Wilson and Ann Richey
William Wyatt, Francis Newton and Elizabeth Snoe
Elisha Jarvis and Densilla Smith
Pierre LeBon (LaBonn) and Anne Gervais
William Millie and
The Rev. McGill is present pastor of Greenville Church.
Its windows look out across the old cemetery. Its tombstones are either shiny and white or aged and weather beaten, but few places hold so much significance in history.
— Submitted February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,026 times since then and 126 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 13. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 14. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 15. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 33. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 34, 35, 36, 37, 38. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 39, 40, 41, 42. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.