East Tawas in Iosco County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A New Light on the Horizon
In 1850, The Federal government set aside $5000 to build a lighthouse near the end of Ottawa Point. The Lighthouse Service paid Daniel S. Ellethorpe $200 for the 30-acre property. Construction started sometime after December 12, 1852. The lighthouse marked the location of the point so mariners could either avoid it or seek refuge in a storm.
In 1876, the U. S. Lifesaving Service established a station at Ottawa Point.
The first Tawas Point lighthouse was a short tower with a wide base. The lantern room was tall, and windows in the tower provided natural lighting for the stairway.
The Ottawa Point Lighthouse joined others built on the American shore of Huron before the Civil War:
Presque Isle 1840; Saginaw Bay 1841; Point Aux Barques 1847; Detour 1847;
Cheboygan 1851; Ottawa Point (Tawas Point) 1853; Charity Island 1857
Erected by Michigan Historical Center & Michigan Historical Museum.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is located inside Tawas Point State Park, at the end of Tawas Beach Road, along the walking path on the northeast side of the lighthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 686 Tawas Beach Road, East Tawas MI 48730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Preserving the Light (here, next to this marker); The Changing Shape of Tawas Point (here, next to this marker); Tawas Point Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Double Dwelling (within shouting distance of this marker); Tawas Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil House (within shouting distance of this marker); Konotin-Iosco (approx. 3˝ miles away); Alabaster (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Tawas.
More about this marker. This is a tall, metal, triangular, "kiosk-style" marker.
Also see . . .
1. Tawas Point Lighthouse. A forty-five-foot-tall, rubblestone tower, which tapered from a diameter of twelve feet at its base to six feet, four inches at its octagonal cast-iron lantern room, was completed in 1952 and, at (Submitted on October 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Captain George G. Meade and the United States Lake Survey. In April 1856, at age 41, Lieutenant Meade received a transfer from coastal duty and was sent to Detroit to assist in the ongoing survey of the Great Lakes. In May 1857, he was promoted to captain and placed in command of the survey, replacing Lieutenant Colonel James Kearney, who was reassigned due to ill health. The process entailed mapping the lake shores and navigation hazards; charting the lake bottoms to locate hidden dangers; and mapping projected ship channels. The duty included improvements of existing harbors, as well as searching for potential sites that could be converted into harbors in time of war. Sites for lighthouses, beacons, and buoys also had to be located. The work was (Submitted on October 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.