Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bald Friar Ford & Ferry
On April 12, 1781, Lafayette moved his troops south by way of this ford, followed by Rochambeau’s Artillery and baggage detachments on September 10 of the same year.
Erected by Bald Friar Bicentennial Community.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
Location. 39° 41.949′ N, 76° 10.442′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is at the intersection of Rock Springs Road (U.S. 222) and Old Conowingo Road, on the left when traveling north on Rock Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Patrick's Chapel (approx. 1.9 miles away); A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 3.1 miles away); Berkley Crossroads Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Richards Oak (approx. 3½ miles away); The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conowingo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,842 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on December 29, 2018, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.