Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lytle Park Series
Southwest of Lytle was Fort Washington, built in 1789 and 1790 and named for President George Washington. The fort protected settlers in the new Ohio country from Indian attacks. It became the base headquarters for the Indian campaigns of Generals Josiah Harmer, Arthur St. Clair and Anthony Wayne. The fort was dismantled in 1808. A marker commemorating the Fort Washington site is located adjacent to the expressway southwest of Lytle Park.
Erected by Park Board Volunteers, the Garden Center of Greater Cincinnati, and Public-Spirited Citizens.
Location. 39° 6.031′ N, 84° 30.24′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Touch for map. Marker is one of a series on a wall near the SSW corner of Lytle Park, about 250 feet SE of the intersection of East 4th Street and Ludlow Street. The markers are about 150 feet east of the Guilford Building, 421 East 4th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Taft Museum (here, next to this marker); Cincinnati's First Playground (here, next to this marker); President William Howard Taft (here, next to "Lincoln - The Man" (here, next to this marker); "Mike" Mullen (here, next to this marker); Lytle's Surroundings (here, next to this marker); Lytle At Christmas (here, next to this marker); Lytle Park (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Also see . . . Fort Washington. (Submitted on November 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Government • Man-Made Features • Military • Native Americans • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 924 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.