Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Bond County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

History of Greenville-Bond County

 
 
History of Greenville-Bond County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 18, 2010
1. History of Greenville-Bond County Marker
Inscription.
Illinois Confederacy Indians roamed this prairie land, rich in game, which became Illinois County of Virginia. Ceded in 1784 to the United States it was successively included in the Northwest, Indiana; and in 1809, Illinois Territory. Formed in 1817, Bond County named for Shadrack Bond extended to the Canadian border and was one of 15 counties represented at first State Constitutional Convention. Settlers came in 1806, Jones-Greene Fort was built 1807, Hills' Fort founded 1811 was an anchor post in War of 1812. First seat of justice at Hills Fort 1817, Perryville second county seat 1818. Greenville, founded 1815, third county seat 1821. This court house is on the original site, the land a gift of George Davidson founder of Greenville. First church in county founded 1818. First school taught 1819. First sabbath school in southern Illinois organized in Bond County. Two companies of Bond County Militia served in Black Hawk War. First Post Office in county at Ripley on Vandalia to Alton Road. Located on the National Trail, Greenville has had a post office since 1825, daily mail service since 1847. Clark Lodge #3, I.O.O.F., founded 1838 oldest lodge chapter in continuous existence in Illinois. First newspaper published 1845. Plans for Mississippi & Atlantic Railroad , later part of Penn Central System, originated here in 1847. Greenville
History of Greenville-Bond County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 18, 2010
2. History of Greenville-Bond County Marker
Bond County Courthouse in background.
one of first cities in Illinois to be incorporated 1855. Almira College for women founded 1855, original building still in use at Greenville College, included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Ladies Library Association, now Greenville Public Library, started 1855. Stephan [sic] A. Douglas and Abraham Lincoln spoke here in 1858. Stations of Underground Railway were in Greenville and Bond County. 1934 the Federate Club presented land for Greenville City Park, only park in state purchased and developed by women. Bond County Historical Society organized 1955, museum opened 1958. Utlaut Memorial Hospital opened 1960. Shadrack Bond Lake, 770 acres of water, dedicated 1971. Richard W. Bock Museum opened 1975.
 
Erected 1975 by The Greenville and Bond County Bicentennial Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.532′ N, 89° 24.807′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Illinois, in Bond County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street (Illinois Route 127) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest grounds of the Bond County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville IL 62246, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Bicentennial Emblem on History of Greenville-Bond County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 18, 2010
3. Bicentennial Emblem on History of Greenville-Bond County Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bond County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Turret Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bond County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); War of 1812 Soldiers Buried in Bond County (within shouting distance of this marker); Ronald Reagan (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Bond County (within shouting distance of this marker); State Bank of Hoiles & Sons (within shouting distance of this marker); J. R. Bennett Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
Also see . . .
1. Greenville Historical Sites. (Submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Bond County Historical Society. (Submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. National Road Historical Byway. (Submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Historic National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 18, 2010
4. Historic National Road Marker
Art & Architecture Site - near north entrance to the Bond County Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 993 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement