San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla
In 1829, however, he helped his son-in-law, James Power, and Power's associate, James Hewetson, plant their colony at Refugio, near Copano Bay. Portilla received land there in 1834, but left for Mexico in 1836. Because he invested his own fortune in the colonizing effort, he is sometimes called the First Empresario, and recognized as a forerunner of Stephen F. Austin, “The Father of Texas”.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10256.)
Marker series. El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 51.326′ N, 97° 53.904′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Old Bastrop Highway (County Route 266) 1.2 miles south of San Marcos Highway (Texas Highway 80), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located just south of the San Marcos River. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Town of San Marcos (here, next to this marker); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ); El Camino De Nacogdoches (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Calaboose (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Courthouses of Hays County (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Old Triangle (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.