Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Arlington Estate, 1860
The estate prospered throughout most of Custis' lifetime, but a series of events beginning after his death radically altered the character of Arlington:
1857 -- Ownership is bequeathed to Mrs. Robert E. Lee, sole surviving child of George Custis.
1861 -- The Lees leave Arlington forever, and Union troops occupy the estate throughout the War.
1864 -- Two hundred acres surrounding the house are set aside as a cemetery for Civil War dead.
1882 -- U.S. Supreme Court returns the estate to Mrs. Robert E. Lee's son G.W. Custis Lee. With thousands of graves surrounding the house, Lee cannot make his home here, and sells Arlington to the government for $150,000.
Location. 38° 52.874′ N, 77° 4.343′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is on the edge of the walk in front of Arlington House in the Arlington Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 Sherman Drive, Fort Myer VA 22211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Charles L’Enfant (a few steps from this marker); A Garden Sustains (within shouting distance of this marker); Arlington House, 1864 (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Garden to Graves (within shouting distance of this marker); Dependence on Slave Labor (within shouting distance of this marker); Guardian of a Nation's Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kingdom of My Childhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington National Cemetery.
Also see . . . Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial. National Park Service (Submitted on December 13, 2013.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.