Near Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Roads in Polk County
A Mexican-Indian trail became the Nacogdoches-Liberty Stagecoach Road, after white settlement began in the 1820s. Settlers brought in goods by Trinity River boats, establishing 20 landings (or wharves) on the 72 miles of Polk County riverfront. Roads led to the interior from the landings; boats handled shipping of county produce for many years.
Northeast of Livingston is the "Old Israel Road"—named for a religious colony whose buildings have disappeared. As with many
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10391.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 30° 38.102′ N, 95° 0.373′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 1988 1.2 miles south of Farm to Market Road 3126, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Town of Swartwout (approx. ¼ mile away); Goodrich School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Forest Hill Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. 6½ miles away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 6.7 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 6.7 miles away); Polk County (approx. 6.8 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.