Near Wateree in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Congaree River Ferries
Joseph Joyner owned a private ferry on the Congaree River near this site by 1749. John McCord's private ferry succeeded Joyner's by 1757, becoming public in 1766 by statue. A route from Charleston to Camden crossed the river at McCord's Ferry. Due to its strategic location, the ferry figured in actions on the south side of the river during the Revolutionary War.
Erected 2014 by Richland County Conservation Commission. (Marker Number 40 185.)
Location. 33° 45.781′ N, 80° 38.533′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Matthews SC 29135, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John M. Bates Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Rebecca Motte's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Kingville (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); St. Phillip A.M.E. Church (approx. 6 miles away); Richland Presbyterian Church (approx. 6½ miles away); Kensington (approx. 7.4 miles away); Millford Plantation (approx. 7½ miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Congaree River Ferries.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2017, by Kevin L Smith of Fort Bragg, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 16, 2017, by Kevin L Smith of Fort Bragg, North Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2018. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.