Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Indiantown Gap in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

M46 Patton Tank

 
 
M46 Patton Tank Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2017
1. M46 Patton Tank Marker
Inscription.  

The M46 Patton was developed as a rebuild program for the M26 shortly before the outbreak of the Korean War. A new powerpack was installed in the rear hull, leading to modified engine access doors and a different rear panel. Like the M26A1, it was armed with the M3A1 90mm main gun, which had a new muzzle break. The M46 is most easily distinguished from the M26A1 by the large mufflers on the fender and the addition of a track tension idler wheel below the drive sprocket. There were about 800 built by the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant. The 628th Tank battalion (present day 103rd Armor) trained with the M46 in Germany in the early 1950s.

The M46 Patton was the first of the Patton series tanks and one of the US Army's principal main battle tanks of the Cold War, with models in service from the 1950s until the 1960s. The M46 was the US Army's primary tank during the Korean War.

Entered Service: 1950
Manufacturer: Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
Weight: 44 tons
Crew: 4
Length: 8.48 Meters (27.82 feet)
Width: 3.51 Meters (11.52 feet)
Height: 3.18 Meters (10.43 feet)
Horsepower: 740 to 810 hp
Engine: Continental

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Motors AV-1790-1 V-form, 12 Cylinder, water-cooled gasoline engine
Cruising speed: 48 k[p]h (29.82 mph)
Range: 130km (80.77 miles)
Weapon System: It contains a M3A21 90mm main gun with 70 rounds. It also had a .30 caliber front machine gun as well as second .30 caliber & M2HB .50 caliber machine gun located on the turret.
 
Erected by Pennsylvania National Guard Military Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made FeaturesWar, ColdWar, Korean. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
 
Location. 40° 25.959′ N, 76° 34.119′ W. Marker is in Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania, in Lebanon County. Marker is at the intersection of Fisher Avenue and Clement Avenue/Wiley Road, on the left when traveling east on Fisher Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annville PA 17003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Company G, 112th Infantry, and Service Troop, 104th Cavalry, War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); M60A3 Patton Tank (a few steps from this marker); M4A3 Sherman Tank (a few steps from this marker); M113A2 APC (a few steps from this marker); M1/IPM1 Abrams Tank (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Armored Division
M46 Patton Tank and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2017
2. M46 Patton Tank and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Clyde Grubb • Lester Baver (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Smolik • Bob Pacios (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Indiantown Gap.
 
Also see . . .
1. M46 Patton. (Submitted on January 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Compare: M46 Patton vs. T-54. (Submitted on January 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Pennsylvania National Guard Military Museum. (Submitted on January 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
M46 Patton Tank image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2017
3. M46 Patton Tank
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101172

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024