Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
1876 - 1957
Erected 1985 by The Polish Heritage Association of the Southeast.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Women.
Location. 33° 33.399′ N, 81° 43.486′ W. Marker is in Aiken, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is on Laurens St SW, on the right when traveling south. Between Colleton and S. Boundry Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aiken SC 29801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hitchcock Woods (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The One Room Schoolhouse (about 500 feet Coker Spring (about 500 feet away); Frederick Ergle Log Cabin (about 600 feet away); Water Trough and Drinking Fountain (about 600 feet away); Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882 (about 800 feet away); Aiken County Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aiken County Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Highland Park Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitney Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Also see . . .
1. Josef Hofmann. Josef Casimir Hofmann (originally Józef Kazimierz Hofmann; January 20, 1876 – February 16, 1957) was a Polish-American virtuoso pianist, composer, music teacher, and inventor. (Submitted on January 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Josef Hofmann plays Chopin Nocturne in C-minor Op. 48, #1. (Submitted on March 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Josef Hofmann plays Chopin Concerto Op. 21, Larghetto. (Submitted on March 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Frédéric François Chopin. Frédéric François Chopin, in (Submitted on January 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Fermata School
In 1919 Mrs. Josef Hofmann, wife of the famed pianist, was looking for a school for her daughter Josefa. She found none that suited. At length she looked at piny, sandy, swank Aiken, S. C. and found it good. There she established a school, named it Fermata. In 1926 Fermata School was taken over by F. A. M. Tabor, owner of Aiken Preparatory School for boys. Principal Tabor moved the school to its present site at Whiskey Road & Gin Lane. He expanded the plant with tennis courts, gymnasium, outdoor swimming pool. A Cambridge man, brother-in-law of Sir John Broderick, onetime commercial counsellor at the British Embassy in Washington, Principal Tabor invested Fermata with a strongly British atmosphere. (Source: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,743991-3,00.html.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,828 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on March 26, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on January 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.