Seward in Seward County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Seward, 4th of July City
Since 1868, Seward has, with but few interruptions, sponsored a yearly 4th of July celebration which has gained national attention. This square, the original site of the festival, is today its focal point. Special trains once brought revelers here on the Fourth; today tens of thousands arrive by auto. With community young people having provided impetus for the celebration, Governor Exon in 1973 designated Seward “Nebraska’s Official 4th of July City.” In 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial officials cited Seward for its patriotic observances.
Named Greene in 1858, this county was re-christened in 1862 for Civil War Secretary of State William H. Seward. Platted in 1868, the city of Seward became the county seat in 1871. It is located at the confluence of the Big Blue River, Plum Creek, and Lincoln Creek. The Neo-classical Revival Courthouse was built in 1905 under supervision of architect George Berlinghof. Early farmers first settled the area, but beginning in the 1870’s the population became infused with German and Czech elements. The fertile countryside is a diversified farming and livestock feeding
Erected by City of Seward, Seward 4th of July Committee and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 221.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 40° 54.422′ N, 97° 5.933′ W. Marker is in Seward, Nebraska, in Seward County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 34 and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 34. Marker is located at the south west corner of courthouse square, on the grounds of the Seward County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seward NE 68434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); Big Blue River, Seward (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Big Blue River (approx. 6.3 miles away); Purple Heart Trail (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tall Grass Prairie (approx. 6.3 miles away); Standing Bear and the Ponca Tribe Historic Milford (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Beaver Crossing Mill (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seward.
Also see . . . History of Seward.
In 1865, Mr. Lewis Moffitt, pioneer and founder of the City of Seward, purchased some choice land. He built a two‑room cabin for his family, which then served as a meeting place and lodging for newcomers. On April 1, 1867, the City of Seward was established. The City of Seward was incorporated on April 5, 1870. (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.