Barkhamsted in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village
A Connecticut State Archaeological Preserve
James and Molly had eight children, seven of whom lived to adulthood, six of whom married and had children of their own, who also remained here as the village grew.
People of African and European origin, as well as Native Americans, moved into what became a thriving multiethnic and multicultural village here on the side of Ragged Mountain in Barkhamsted.
Til Ellwell, born in 1849, was James’ and Molly’s great, great granddaughter. She lived in the village until the mid-1850’s.
The Barkhamsted town clerk recorded the birth of a baby girl on May 14, 1858. Her place of residence was listed as “Barkhamsted Light House.”
Erected by Barkhamsted Historical Society and Farmington River Coordinating
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Anthropology & Archaeology • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Location. 41° 56.559′ N, 73° 0.438′ W. Marker is in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is on East River Road 1.7 miles south of Route 20, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located at the trailhead for the Lighthouse and Jessie Girard Trails. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barkhamsted CT 06063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peoples State Forest (a few steps from this marker); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cellar Holes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Grind Stone (about 300 feet away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Stone Quarry (about 300 feet away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Charcoal Kilns (about 300 feet away); Camp White (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Robinson Buck (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barkhamsted.
More about this marker. The Lighthouse Trail is a 0.3 mile loop off the Jessie Girard Trail.
Regarding Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village.
The trail became a winding road, leadiing past an Indian village... and when the stage came through the night, past the Indian cabins...
Nightly came the stage a-creaking on its journey to New Hartford.....“There’s the Light House!” cried the driver, “Five more miles to reach New Hartford!”.... Lighthouse for the stage coach traffic....
Thus was named the ancient village....by the winding Tunxis River.
From The Legend of the Barkhamsted Lighthouse, by Lewis S. Mills (1952)
Also see . . .
1. Barkhamsted Lighthouse. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. Barkhamsted Historical Society. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.