Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campeche, Mexico — The Southeast (Yucatan Peninsula)
 

The House of the King’s Lieutenant

 
 
The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
1. The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker
Inscription.  
Casa de Teniente del Rey
Esta casa es una de las tres que existen en Campeche y que sirvieron como vivienda del Teniente del Rey.

Construida en el siglo XVII, sirvió como residencia oficial del noveno Teniente del Rey de Campeche, don Miguel de Castro y Araos y de su esposa Doña Gertrudis Eulalia Gorostieta y Zagasti, quien ejerció el cargo de 1815 a 1820, año en que falleció.

Este cargo fue creado por el Rey Fernando VI de España para hacerse cargo del gobierno de la península en ausencia del Gobernador y Capitán General de Yucatán. Antes de asumir la responsabilidad como Teniente del Rey, fungió como Gobernador de Tabasco y posteriormente desempeñó el puesto de Gobernador y Capitán General de Yucatán hasta el 23 de marzo de 1812, cuando fue designado para trasladarse a Campeche.

La característica principal de estas casas señoriales es su entrada en forma de arco de medio punto, flanqueada por dos columnas toscanas que descansan sobre pedestales.

English:
The House of the King’s Lieutenant
This house is one of the three existing in Campeche which served as accommodation for
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the King's Lieutenants. Built in the 17th century, it was the official residence of the 9th King's Lieutenant of Campeche, Mr. Miguel de Castro y Araos and his wife Mrs. Gertrudis Eulalia Gorostieta y Zagasti. He held the post from 1815 to 1820, the year he died.

This post was created by King Ferdinand VI of Spain, to take charge of the government of the peninsula in the absence of the Governor and Captain General of Yucatan. Before assuming the position as the King's Lieutenant, he acted as Governor of Tabasco and later held the post of Governor and Captain General of Yucatan, until March 23, 1812 when he was assigned to move to Campeche.

The main feature of these stately homes is their entrance in the shape of a semicircular arch, flanked by two Tuscan columns resting on pedestals.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraGovernment & PoliticsMan-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is March 23, 1812.
 
Location. 19° 50.613′ N, 90° 32.15′ W. Marker is in Campeche. Marker is on Calle 14, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 Calle 14, Campeche 24000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Professor Septimio Perez Palacios (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple of the Sweet Name of Jesus (about 150 meters away,
The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
2. The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker
The markers are to the far left in this view of the former residence. The building is currently the Hotel Colonial.
measured in a direct line); House of Pablo García y Montilla (about 210 meters away); Independence of Campeche (about 240 meters away); Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro (about 240 meters away); Independence Square (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Campeche's Land Gate (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Francisco de Paulo Toro Theater (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campeche.
 
The House of the King’s Lieutenant Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
3. The House of the King’s Lieutenant Markers
In this view the arched entryway with two columns can be seen as mentioned in the marker text. The markers are to the left.
An additional The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 21, 2017
4. An additional The House of the King’s Lieutenant Marker
This marker is made of ceramic tiles and is also to the left of the entryway to the former residence. It reads:

En esta casa habitó, con su esposa Doña Gertrudis Eulalia Gorostieta y Zagasti el Teniente de Rey de Campeche Brigadier Don Miguel de Castro y Araos, anteriormente Gobernador de Tabasco. Fue también Gobernador y Capitán General de Yucatán (1815-1820). Falleció en Mérida, Yuc., el 1º de agosto de 1820.

English translation:
In this house lived, together with his wife Gertrudis Eulalia Gorostieta y Zagasti, the Lieutenant of the King in Campeche the Brigadier Miguel de Castro y Araos, previously the Governor of Tabasco. He was also Governor and Captain General of Yucatán (1815-1820). He died in Mérida, Yucatan, on August 1, 1820.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102999

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024