Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bridgeport in Mono County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Mono County Court House

 
 
Mono County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 6, 2008
1. Mono County Court House Marker
Inscription.  Since April 1, 1881 with the trial of Morton, indicted for theft of gold bullion from the Standard Co. of Bodie, the scales of justice in this building have continuously weighed the problems of Mono County from infancy to this present day. This impressive building remains a classic example of the artisans of yesterday.
 
Erected 1965 by Bodie Chapter of E. Vitus Clampus in Coaction with The Mono County Historical Society (Dedicated September 25, 1965).
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 1, 1733.
 
Location. 38° 15.358′ N, 119° 13.71′ W. Marker is in Bridgeport, California, in Mono County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 395) and School Street. The marker is located on the front of the building to the right of the front doors. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgeport CA 93517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Irwin" (here, next to this marker); Bridgeport Chronicle-Union
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Frontier Justice (within shouting distance of this marker); Old County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mono County Memorial Hall (about 400 feet away); "Bridgeport Inn" (about 400 feet away); Bridgeport Elementary School (about 800 feet away); First Bridgeport Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeport.
 
Smaller Marker Above the Main Marker on Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 6, 2008
2. Smaller Marker Above the Main Marker on Building

Mono County
Courthouse Rededication
Centennial

1880 Supervisors-Morris Dick,Chairman,W.A.Loose, William Witherall

1980 Supervisors-Eugene J. Hanson, Chairman, Coy D. Zigler, Vice-Chairman, Joan T. Green, Don N. Sharp, Jr., Robert J. Stanford

Plaque dedicated July 5, 1980 by the Mono County Board of Supervisors
This Marker is Mounted on the Building to the Left of the Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 5, 2008
3. This Marker is Mounted on the Building to the Left of the Entrance
The site for this courthouse was donated by Amasa Foster Bryant and his wife, Eliza Ann Scott Bryant. Pioneers who settled in this beautiful valley in 1862.
Plaque donated by the Mono County Board of Supervisors.
Mono County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 6, 2008
4. Mono County Courthouse
Mono County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 5, 2008
5. Mono County Courthouse
Mono County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 5, 2008
6. Mono County Courthouse
Vistage Postcard of The Mono County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Merle Porter. Distributed by Royal Pictures, Colton,Ca.
7. Vistage Postcard of The Mono County Courthouse
Description on postcard:
This two story ornate building was built after the county seat located in Aurora in 1863 was found to be in Nevada. Mono County (Mono is possibly a corruption of Monache), a name of obscure meaning applied to the Indians of the area. The County was formed in 1861 of territory taken from Fresno and Calaveras Counties. From 1863 to 1870 the boundry lines were changed four times. The town grew when gold was plentiful from the Bodie area. There are a great number of historic places near Bridgeport...M.P.
Monument on the Grounds of Courthouse Listing and Mapping of Mono County Landmarks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 5, 2008
8. Monument on the Grounds of Courthouse Listing and Mapping of Mono County Landmarks
Historical
Monuments and Sites
In and About
Mono County
Dedicated by
Bodie Chapter E. Clampus Vitas
Mono County Supervisors
Sept. 14, 2002
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,490 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   3. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   4. submitted on August 16, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   5, 6. submitted on November 3, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   7. submitted on September 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   8. submitted on November 3, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10322

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024