Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Monroe in Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old Cistern

 
 
The Old Cistern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. The Old Cistern Marker
Inscription.  One of several large cisterns shown on a map of 1834. No potable water was ever found on Old Point Comfort, although one well was sunk to more than 900 feet. The garrison had to depend on cistern water and water brought in from wells on the mainland.
 
Erected 1969.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesMilitary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 37° 0.159′ N, 76° 18.601′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. It is in Fort Monroe. Marker is on Bernard Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located inside Fortress Monroe, near the entrance to the Casemate Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Monroe VA 23651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Monroe (a few steps from this marker); Eprouvette Mortar (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Monroe (a few steps from this marker); 12-Pounder Howitzer (a few steps from this marker); Lantaka
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Austrian 6-Pounder Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Austrian 6-Pounder Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); John Mitchel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Monroe (Stone Fort) National Register of Historic Places Registration Form (pdf file). (Submitted on August 19, 2019.)
2. Fort Monroe National Monument, National Park Service. (Submitted on August 19, 2019.)
 
Marker in Fort Monroe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker in Fort Monroe
Fort Monroe was originally called Point Comfort. It is beleived to have been named in 1607 by the original settlers of Jamestown. Captain Christopher Newport anchored the Susan Constant near here on April 28, 1607, and members of his crew rowed to this place "which put them in good comfort."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,530 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10334

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024