Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Williams House

 
 
Williams House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2017
1. Williams House Marker
Inscription.  The Williams House was built between 1900 and 1914 by the Blum family as their private residence. After moving to Charles Town, Dr. Leah Mildred Williams, a female physician, purchased the home in 1954. Dr. Williams began her family medical practice after purchasing the home where she saw patients until her retirement in 1986. Known as a deeply caring and compassionate person, Dr. Williams made a point of seeing any patient, often making house calls in order to do so. She served as the county's Medical Examiner, Chief of Staff at Jefferson Memorial Hospital, and was a member of the Independent Fire Company, serving for many years as the fire company's physician. Dr. Williams continue to reside in the house until her death in 2008 at the age of 91.
 
Erected by American Public University System.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & MedicineWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 39° 17.266′ N, 77° 51.632′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection
Williams House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2017
2. Williams House and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Congress Street and Charles Street, on the left when traveling west on Congress Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 West Congress Street, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Town Schools (a few steps from this marker); Etter Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Etter Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Washington House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Town Post Office (about 400 feet away); Thomas Green House (about 400 feet away); John Thomas Marker (about 400 feet away); Old Stone House / Star Lodge No. 1 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles Town.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103643

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021