Port Deposit in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1991 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1788.
Location. 31° 57.49′ N, 90° 58.982′ W. Marker is in Port Deposit, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) south of Carroll Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hopkins House (a few steps from this marker); St. James Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Maury House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Gemiluth Chassed (about 400 feet away); Hughes Home (about 400 feet away); Guthrie Home (about 400 feet away); O'Hara Cottage (about 400 feet away).
Regarding Bruinsburg. By 1865 the town was extinct.
The former town and its landing are now located on private property.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the ghost town Bruinsburg. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.