Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Federals Occupy Port Gibson

 
 
The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker
Inscription.  About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the morning of the 2d. the Union army entered the beautiful little city of 1,500, and Gen. S.G. Burbridge raised the "stars and stripes" over the Claiborne County Courthouse. While Gen. U.S. Grant put his engineers to work building a raft-bridge across the stream, the rest of the Union troops took a welcomed break. Churches, inns and houses were turned into hospitals to shelter the hundreds of wounded "Yanks" and "Rebs."

The raft-bridge was declared open for traffic at 4 P. M. Gen. J. B. McPherson's XVII Corps crossed the Little Bayou Pierre en route to Grindstone Ford. By noon on May 3 most of the Union army had marched on.

Union victory at the battle of Port Gibson secured Grant's bridgehead east of the Mississippi.
 
Erected 1963.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 1, 1863.
 
Location. 31° 57.56′ N, 90° 59.205′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Rodney Road west of Flower Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rodney Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Port Gibson (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Port Gibson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Port Gibson Bank (about 700 feet away); Commercial Building (about 700 feet away); O'Hara Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commercial Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bernheimer Complex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Maury House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Battle of Port Gibson. (Submitted on May 29, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker
The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker looking west on Rodney Road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
3. The Federals Occupy Port Gibson Marker looking west on Rodney Road.
General Burbridge (left), General Baldwin, & General McPherson (right). image. Click for full size.
Public domain
4. General Burbridge (left), General Baldwin, & General McPherson (right).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103808

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024