Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Howe in Butte County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

John Day’s River

 
 
John Day’s River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 11, 2017
1. John Day’s River Marker
Inscription.  
John Day’s River
Fur traders named this stream for John Day, a pioneer trapper who died in the valley north of here, Feb. 16, 1820

John Day had started west with John Jacob Astor’s Pacific Fur Company that discovered Snake River Valley to the south of here in 1811. After 1816 he joined Donald Mackensie’s band of fur hunters who finally spent the winter of 1819-1820 in what is now known as little Lost River Valley. For many years, trappers and mapmakers referred to Mackensie’s campground as on John Day’s River, which is now Little Lost River.
 
Erected by Idaho Historical Society & Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 227.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Features. In addition, it is included in the Idaho State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 16, 1820.
 
Location. 43° 47.007′ N, 112° 59.617′ W. Marker is in Howe, Idaho, in Butte County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 33 and N 1480W (County Highway 1480), on the right when traveling west on State Highway 33. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Howe ID 83244, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Also see . . .  John Day (trapper) on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 29, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
John Day’s River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 11, 2017
2. John Day’s River Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=103827

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024