Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cooperville

 
 
Cooperville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Cooperville Marker
Inscription.  This village was a center of religious educational and social activity for Southeast Georgia prior to the War Between the States. It was established by William Cooper about 1790 when he acquired the 1100 acres originally granted to Nobel Jones. His home, later added to by his brother, George Cooper, stood about 1/2 mile west of this marker.

The village was the home of Wilson C. Cooper, the educator who established Cooper College 1/4 mile east; George Cooper, the Second, inventor of the "Cooper plow"; William Cooper, the Baptist minister whose imposing home was near this marker; Dr. T.B. Cooper, the educator and Baptist minister; and J. Randolph Cooper, the Confederate officer.
 
Erected 1996 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 124-13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1790.
 
Location.
Cooperville Marker, along US 301 and GA 17 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Cooperville Marker, along US 301 and GA 17
Click or scan to see
this page online
32° 35.456′ N, 81° 42.261′ W. Marker is in Dover, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Statesboro Highway (U.S. 301) and Scarboro Highway (State Highway 17), on the right when traveling west on Statesboro Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover GA 30424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (here, next to this marker); Louisville Road (here, next to this marker); Union Meeting House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Union Meeting House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Men of Mark in Georgia By William J. Northen, John Temple Graves. Pages 238-241 George W. Cooper, "Cooper Plows" (Submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Cooperville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Cooperville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,228 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10399

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022