Near Crosbyton in Crosby County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Dewey Lake
Lake Shore was site of Texas Ranger Camp "Roberts" (1879-1882) and the "Stag House," barracks for the cowboys of the Two Buckle Ranch. Surveyors often camped here, too.
The lake disappeared in the 1880s after two creeks eroded its shores, forming a new channel which drained the lake basin.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3720.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 33° 39.871′ N, 101° 10.531′ W. Marker is near Crosbyton, Texas, in Crosby County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and Farm to Market Road 2591, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crosbyton TX 79322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Two-Buckle Ranch Headquarters (here, next to this marker); Texas Ranger Campsite (here, next to this marker); Battle of the Freshwater Fork of the Brazos (here, next to this marker); Main Supply Camp on Historic Mackenzie Trail (here, next to this marker); Crosbyton Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Julian M. Bassett (approx. 2.1 miles away); J. J. Pierce (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lamar Family (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crosbyton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.