Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Odessa in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old St. Paul's Church

 
 
Old St. Paul's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Old St. Paul's Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1831, a Methodist Society was organized in this community. The congregation was incorporated as Cantwell's Bridge Methodist Episcopal Church in 1832. A small meeting house known as "Brickbat Church" was subsequently constructed on land provided by Joseph C. Griffith. Dedicated in 1852, the new structure was formally named St. Paul's M.E. Church. It was designed by noted architect Samuel Sloan. The congregation continued to worship here for over a century before moving to a new site on Main Street in 1957. In 1974, the building was purchased from the Methodist Conference and sold to the Women's Club of Odessa for use as a Community Center. An extensive repair and renovation project was undertaken by the organization. Old St. Paul's Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1982.
 
Erected 2005 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-147.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public Work
Old St. Paul's Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Old St. Paul's Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
Churches & ReligionWomen. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1711.
 
Location. 39° 27.456′ N, 75° 39.635′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 High Street, Odessa DE 19730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tatman Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Odessa (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Drawyers Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Duncan Beard (approx. 1½ miles away); Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms (approx. 1.7 miles away); Commodore Thomas Macdonough (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
 
Saint Pauls M E Church 1851 image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
3. Saint Pauls M E Church 1851
Old St. Paul's Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
4. Old St. Paul's Cemetery
Old St. Paul's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, April 1, 2014
5. Old St. Paul's Church Marker
Old St. Paul's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, April 1, 2014
6. Old St. Paul's Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,210 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   5, 6. submitted on April 1, 2014, by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=10539

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 30, 2021