Near Sheldon in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prince William's Parish Church
These ruins are of Prince William's Parish Church, built ca. 1751-1757 and partially burned during the American Revolution, with its interior and roof rebuilt 1825-26. This Anglican church was primarily paid for by Lieutenant Governor William Bull I (1683-1755), who is buried here. It is often called Sheldon, after Bull's plantation.
Text from Back Side
Local Loyalists burned the church in 1779 during a raid by General Augustine Prevost. It was assumed by many area residents in 1865 and has been widely believed since that Federal troops burned Sheldon Church during the last months of the Civil War. It was actually dismantled by local freedmen ca. 1865-67.
Replacing a marker erected by the society in 1955
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 32° 37.087′ N, 80° 46.858′ W. Marker is near Sheldon, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Old Sheldon Church Road near Trask Parkway (U.S. 21), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yemassee SC 29945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church of Prince William's Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bull (within shouting distance of this marker); Sheldon Union Academy (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Frampton Lines / John Edward Frampton House (approx. 5 miles away); " The Frampton Line " (approx. 5.4 miles away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo (approx. 5.6 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sheldon.
More about this marker. According to the small print, at the bottom of each side of the marker, this particular marker replaces an older marker that was erected by the same Beaufort County Historical Society. You will find photographs of that older marker here.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.