East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The clear, cool stream ran through sandy black loam over clay soil and has long been a gathering place. Discovery of the remains of a large fire pit and of projectile points at its edge indicate reoccurring habitation dating to 1,000 to 3,000 BC, with Native American presence in the campus area continuing into the 1850s. Records from 1849 describe them trading with Robert Burcham, the area's first white resident. Burcham built his cabin on the site of the current Music Building, clearing portions of adjacent land later set aside for preservation as the university's "Sacred Space."
College Hall, the first campus building and the nation's first building dedicated to the scientific study of agriculture, was erected in 1856 where Beaumont Tower now stands. It is depicted in the university's official seal, seen at the top of this marker. Its bricks were
Botany professor William J. Beal appropriated the area in 1873 to plant a collection of 140 species of forage grasses and clovers for study. Those test plots were the beginning of today's Botanic Garden where Beal created his "Wild Garden" just across the street in 1877. He continued his experiments with the grasses, and one report has him placing 10,000 plants in the beds of the hollow
A number of dead trees were removed from the banks of the ravine in 19067, and the creek channel straightened. But by 1914, increased pollution runoff from East Lansing and alarm over outbreaks of typhoid fever prompted enclosure of the once-pristine stream and its incorporation into the community's sewer system.
Sleepy Hollow was officially reunited with the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden in 1961 when the soil of the east slope was treated with acidification amendments to accommodate a new collection of rhododendron and azalea hybrids.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • Natural Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 42° 43.912′ N, 84° 28.992′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive 0.2 miles east of Kalamazoo Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University. It is on eastbound West Circle Drive, across the street from the MSU Libraries building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Michigan State University (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (within shouting distance of this marker); Botanical Laboratory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walter Adams Field (about 600 feet away); W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (about 600 feet away); Alice B. Cowles House (about 700 feet away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (about 800 feet away); Dora Hall Stockman (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Looking for an image of Sleepy Hollow itself. • Can you help?