Dover in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 2, 1770.
Location. 32° 35.455′ N, 81° 42.262′ W. Marker is in Dover, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Statesboro Highway (U.S. 301) and Scarboro Highway / Effingham Highway (Georgia Highway 17), on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover GA 30424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (here, next to this marker); Cooperville (here, next to this marker); Union Meeting House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Union Meeting House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Regarding Louisville Road. Louisville was laid out in 1786 as a prospective state capital of Georgia, and its state buildings were completed in 1795. It served as the state capital of Georgia from 1796 to 1806.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.