Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lorenzo E. Mullinix
Pres. of Board 1922-28
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features.
Location. 39° 24.772′ N, 77° 24.939′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on South Bentz Street. This marker is in Mullinix Park near 22 South Bentz Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Quantrill's Stand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 173 West All Saints Street (about 300 feet away); First Black High School in Frederick County (about 400 feet away); Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney (about 400 feet away); Water Level of the 1976 Flood (about 400 feet away); Barbara Fritchie Cabins & Tea Room May 17, 1943 (about 500 feet away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Regarding Mullinix Park. “Segregation not only applied to businesses and organizations, but also to many public spaces. Baker Park in downtown Frederick provided a major recreational space for white citizens, but under segregation, this kind of park was denied to Frederick’s African-American residents. To address this issue, one of Frederick’s aldermen, Lorenzo E. Mullinix, pushed for the construction of a park for African Americans. The Baker family donated more than two acres for the park on South Bentz Street. It was named Mullinix Park for the alderman, who passed away in May 1930 after a lengthy illness and paralysis. The park was much smaller than Baker Park and the ground was largely rocky and sloping, but it was widely used by the community for events such as treasure hunts and ball games.” — Historic Frederick County by the Historical Society of Frederick County
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.