Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santiago de Querétaro in Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Chapel of Saint Gregory

 
 
Chapel of Saint Gregory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton
1. Chapel of Saint Gregory Marker
The bilingual marker is two-sided.
Inscription.  

Capilla de San Gregorio
El Cronista Don José M. Zeláa afirma que este recinto formó parte de la cadena de diez capillas públicas repartidas en los barrios indígenas para su atención espiritual.

Durante el memorable Sitio de Querétaro, en 1867, aquí se verificó uno de los mas importantes hechos de armas.

El conjunto está formado por un calvario y dos capillas. La más pequeña, que es la primitiva, está orientada de norte a sur y data del siglo XVII. La segunda capilla, de mayores dimensiones, fue fabricada en el siglo XVIII y se ubica al poniente del conjunto, con la misma orientación.

English:
Chapel of Saint Gregory
Chronicler Don Jose M. Zelaa, ensures that this location was part of a chain of ten public chapels distributed in the Indian neighborhoods for their spiritual support.

During the memorable siege of Queretaro, back in 1867, this place witnessed one of the most important armed events.

A Calvary and two chapels comprise the complex. The smallest, which was the first, is oriented from north to south and dates from the XVII Century.
Chapel of Saint Gregory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
2. Chapel of Saint Gregory Marker
The marker is to the right of the main entrance to the 18th century, larger chapel of Saint Gregory.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The second chapel, the biggest, was build (sic) in the XVIII Century, and is located to the west of the complex, with the same orientation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative AmericansWars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 20° 36.315′ N, 100° 24.398′ W. Marker is in Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro. Marker is on Ejido just west of Topacio, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santiago de Querétaro QUE 76156, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Procession of the Remains of the Insurgents (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Tecnológico de Monterrey Time Capsule (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Chapel of the Sacred Family (approx. one kilometer away); The Portugal Fort (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Old Railway Station (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The Querétaro Railroad Station (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Delegación Felipe Carrillo Puerto (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The Chameleon Fountain (approx. 1.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santiago de Querétaro.
 
Chapel of Saint Gregory and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
3. Chapel of Saint Gregory and Marker
Chapel of Saint Gregory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
4. Chapel of Saint Gregory
This view towards the south shows the reverse of the 18th century chapel, adorned for Saint Gregory's feast day of September 3.
The interior of the 18th century Chapel of Saint Gregory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
5. The interior of the 18th century Chapel of Saint Gregory
The 17th century Chapel of Saint Gregory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
6. The 17th century Chapel of Saint Gregory
Although hard to see clearly, the 17th century, smaller chapel to Saint Gregory is here to the right (east) of the main chapel. It is partially obscured by a large tarp that covered the church's patio during the feast day of Saint Gregory.
Chapel of Saint Gregory, ca. 1920s image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 3, 2017
7. Chapel of Saint Gregory, ca. 1920s
This oil painting found inside the main chapel depicts how it looked after the Cristero War of the 1920s, when a supply of gunpowder stored in the church buildings exploded.
Chapel of Saint Gregory image. Click for full size.
8. Chapel of Saint Gregory
In this anonymous and undated photo, it is possible to see the two chapels of Saint Gregory in Querétaro viewed towards the north. The area around the chapels is now surrounded by newer construction.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 3, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   7, 8. submitted on September 4, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=107888

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 4, 2022