In 1760-62 near this Head of Cobequid Bay the first English speaking settlers of the Townships of Onslow and Truro landed. Of Ulster Irish, Scottish and English stock, these pioneers were among those brought to Nova Scotia from New England by the government to take up the lands formerly occupied by the Acadians.
Location. 45° 22.29′ N, 63° 19.331′ W. Marker is in Lower Truro, Nova Scotia, in Colchester County. Marker is on Tidal Bore Road 0.6 kilometers north of Glooscap Trail (Nova Scotia Route 236), on the left when traveling north. Marker is on the grounds of the Truro Tidal Bore Viewing Visitor Centre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Tidal Bore Road, Lower Truro, Nova Scotia B6L 1T9, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lumber Jack, circa 1900 (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); First Presbyterian/United Church (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Centennial of Presbyterian Church Formation in Canada
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for First Landing.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.