Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wm. E. Beckwith House

1771

 
 
Wm. E. Beckwith House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
1. Wm. E. Beckwith House Marker
Inscription.  The original portion was built of logs and contained a huge stone fireplace still visible today. Modified through the years its most illustrious moment in history as during the Civil War years 1862, when it served as General Pope's headquarters.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1771.
 
Location. 38° 46.78′ N, 77° 23.27′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Chapel Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12752 Chapel Street, Clifton VA 20124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mayhugh Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulmer House (within shouting distance of this marker); Peterson's Ice Cream Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quigg House (about 400 feet away); Clifton Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Weaver House (about 400 feet away); Harris House (about 400 feet away); Adams House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clifton.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Regarding Wm. E. Beckwith House. Wm. E. Beckwith owned 1,200 acres of land on Popes Head Creek. When he died in 1863 his will freed all sixteen of his slaves and gave them 200 acres of land south of the railroad tracks. That tract and the remaining 1,000 acres that were sold off formed the core of early Clifton.
 
Wm. E. Beckwith House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
2. Wm. E. Beckwith House Marker
Wm. E. Beckwith House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
3. Wm. E. Beckwith House
Homestead image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
4. Homestead
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110280

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024