Idaho Falls in Bonneville County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Native American Encampments
The earliest known human occupation of the Idaho Falls area reaches back about 1,200 years, according to archaeological evidence. The bones of mammoths, ground sloths, camels, and other extinct mammals, discovered in association with Native American artifacts, have been found deep beneath the floor of a cave located a few miles west of the city. Numerous ancient camp sites, once occupied by members of the Shoshone-Bannock tribes, are located along the Snake River within the present city limits, especially near the areas where Freeman Park and the LDS Temple are now located.
Before the arrival of white settlers, the land along the Snake River was used as a wintering area by elk and deer. The discovery of large fist-sized hide scrapers indicates that the hides of these animals were tanned here. The Shoshone-Bannocks camped here during their trips north to the salmon fishing areas. Fred Keefer, early Idaho Falls resident, remembered visiting these camps as a boy, where he was taught various handicrafts by the tribal members.
The Lemhi band of Shoshones camped at this section of the river in 1909 on their way to Fort
Location. 43° 29.951′ N, 112° 2.542′ W. Marker is in Idaho Falls, Idaho, in Bonneville County. Marker is on Idaho Falls Greenbelt Trail 0.1 miles north of Memorial Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the Idaho Falls Greenbelt Trail, across Riverside Drive from the LDS Temple parking lot, overlooking the Snake River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Idaho Falls ID 83402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Idaho Falls Idaho Temple (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Idaho Falls LDS Hospital and School of Nursing (about 600 feet away); Eagle Rock Meeting House (about 800 feet away); Upper Snake River Valley Irrigation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Snake River Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prisoners of War in Idaho Falls (approx. ¼ mile away); Keefer's Island (approx. ¼ mile away); The Odd Fellows (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Idaho Falls.
Also see . . . Effects of European Contact on Shoshone and Bannock Tribes.
The end of autonomous life for the Shoshone and Bannock is found in the 1860s, with the disappearance of the buffalo and the beginnings of Mormon settlement in the Bear River Valley. Throughout the 1860s, settlers encroached on Shoshone and Bannock territory. Settlers entered the Boise River Valley. Gold miners entered the mountains. Increasing conflicts between Anglo-Americans and Native Americans led the United States government to pursue a policy of treaty making. Pacts were made at Fort Bridger, Box Elder and Soda Springs in 1863, and at Fort Boise in 1864. The Fort Hall Reservation was established in 1867 for the Boise River and Bruneau River bands. In 1868, the Fort Bridger Treaty located the Fort Hall Shoshone and Bannock on the same reservation In 1907, the Lemhi and Sheepeater bands were removed to the Fort Hall Reservation as well. (Submitted on November 23, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Native American Encampments.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.