Near Rocky Face in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mill Creek Gap
February 25, 1864, the Federal 14th A.C., Dept. of the Cumberland, moving by Tunnel Hill, attempted to seize the gap, but were driven back by Stewart’s & Breckinridge’s divs. At the same time, the gap was assailed from Crow Valley, E. of Rocky Face, by Cruft’s & Baird’s divs., which was repulsed by Hindman’s A.C.
These Federal moves were prompted by rumors that Johnston’s command had reinforced Polk, facing Sherman’s forces at Meridian, Miss.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 48.329′ N, 85° 1.394′ W. Marker is near Rocky Face, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is on Old US 41 0.1 miles east of Rocky Face Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is at a dead end on Old 41. A former park was closed and Old 41 no longer crosses Mill Creek; the road and bridge have been removed. Maps do not reflect this missing section of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Face GA 30740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Mill Creek Gap (approx. 0.7 miles away); Atlanta Campaign (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Mill Creek Gap (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Flooded Gap (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Defense of Mill Creek Gap (approx. 0.7 miles away); George Disney's Grave (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rocky Face Ridge Phase (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Mill Creek Gap (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocky Face.
More about this marker. This marker was moved from its original inaccessible location on the railroad near Rocky Face Railroad Street to its present location. With that move it was believed lost, and a new almost identical marker was ordered and installed at the State Police Headquarters on US 41.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,706 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 4, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.