Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harrison County was predominantly rural and agricultural, with cotton as the main crop. By 1850, it was the most populous, as well as one of the richest, counties in antebellum Texas. A strong heritage of slavery prior to the Civil War and the influx of many former slaves after the war resulted in a large Black population, as well.
The Southern Pacific Railroad, which built a line into Marshall before the Civil War, became part of the Texas and Pacific Railway system in the 1870’s, connecting Harrison County with communities to the east, west, and north. The railroad located it main shops and offices in Marshall, which soon became a major transportation center. The economic base of the county diversified
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10176.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 32° 32.709′ N, 94° 22.06′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and North Wellington Street, on the left when traveling west on West Houston Street. Marker is located on the west side of the Harrison County Historical Museum (former Harrison County Courthouse). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Houston Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marshall (here, next to this marker); James Harper Starr (a few steps from this marker); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (a few steps from this marker); Governor Edward Clark (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The Capitol Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Harrison County.
Caddo Indians lived in the East Texas timberlands for centuries before the arrival of Spanish explorers in the sixteenth century. Agriculturalists with a highly developed culture, the Caddoes were no match for European weapons and diseases. Consequently, American settlers, who began to arrive in large numbers during the 1830s, had few Indian problems in the area that became Harrison County. The settlement of the area was well under way by the time of the Texas Revolution in 1836. A dozen Americans received land grants there from Mexican authorities in the fall of 1835. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harrison County, Texas.
The area was settled predominately by planters from the Southern United States, who developed this area for cotton plantations and brought African-American slaves with them for labor, or purchased them in the area. The planters repeated much of their culture and society here. By 1850, landowners in this county held more slaves than in any other county in Texas until the end of the Civil War. The census of 1860 counted 8,746 slaves in Harrison County, 59% of the county's total population. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Harrison County's Tuskegee Airmen.
Harrison County counted among its many men and women in service during the war, four of the famed Tuskegee Airmen. Enlisting in the Army Air Corps at the war’s onset, they waited a year for the War Department to organize a segregated training facility at the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.